No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: "Edinburgh"  (Read 5014 times)

Offline Lily of the Valley

• Members
"Edinburgh"
« on: September 12, 2006, 02:32:07 AM »

Above is an ebay auction (ended) for a paperweight with "Edinburgh" engraved on the bottom.   What can you tell me about weights with this signature please.   Also, how about the price paid ... high, low, just right or???  I'm not the buyer but have seen a weight so marked and am curious.

Thank you and all the best ... Lily :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
"Edinburgh"
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2006, 06:42:15 AM »
In the mid 80s (around 85 - 86) Edinburgh Crystal wanted to expand their range to include paperweights. Rather than set up to do the manufacturing themselves they contracted out to Caithness.  Over the two years Caithness made about 15 different designs of which some were limited editions (250 or 100) and some were unlimited. The weights were identifiable by having an E signature case and often the engraved signature. Usually for limited editions they would also engrave the design name but not always. This one is called Aquamarine. One of the paperweight books (Bob Halls Scottish paperweights I think) has a small section on them that includes a brochure sheet.  I am not sure if there is a definite list of all the designs that were made.

If Allan S is watching, do you know if Caithness have a list?

Anyway Price about right.    

After the arrangement with Caithness came to an end, Edinburgh started importing unspectacular Muranos and putting an Edinburgh sticker on them.  

This is all off the top of my head. If I remember I will correct when I get home
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
"Edinburgh"
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2006, 08:59:38 AM »
If anyone has some examples I would like to include them in the Caithness catalogue, as well as the future Edinburgh Crystal ones.
http://www.scotlandsglass.co.uk/cms/

Offline mjr

• Members
"Edinburgh"
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2006, 09:43:36 AM »
Frank

I have a lot of them. When I get sorted I will supply images. Unfortunately still chaos (major building works - weights in boxes in cupboards, more weights in other peoples attics). I think from earlier postings that Simone has some
Martin

Offline daveweight

• Members
Edinburgh Crystal Paperweights
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 12:12:47 PM »
What Martin said was spot on. I have two of these weights in my collection but I also have a copy of the original broachure and there were 25 different weights made by Caithness for Edinburgh 8 of which were unlimited. Funnily enough, you don't see many of these weights coming up for sale so it would be interesting to know exactly how many of each were made
Dave

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
"Edinburgh"
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 02:31:59 PM »
Dave, Can you email me a 300dpi scan of the brochure please? Using the brochure info, if not the pictures ensure reasonably good data - found some errors in Charlton already.

I have nearly completed the 1998 catalogue and two 98 Colin Terris brochures. Still got 3 catalogues to process. Just under items 500 on site now.

Offline mjr

• Members
"Edinburgh"
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »
Dave

I would also appreciate a copy of the scan.

The image in Bob Hall's book is a single side, and  I am sure it doesn't have 25 examples on. I need to check when I get home.

This is a special interest area of mine. Which have you got?
Martin

Offline ALLAN

• Members
"Edinburgh"
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2006, 07:05:49 PM »
I will try to find out what info is still available on the Edinburgh weights.It may take a few days to trawl through the old books and stuff though. :lol:

Offline dreamticket2

• Members
"Edinburgh"
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2006, 10:32:24 AM »
http://tinypic.com/view/?pic=jta1vk <---- Mod: Link dead

My Edinburgh paperweight Glass message board subject
-dated 29th November 2004 (doesn't time fly!)
Post subject: Edinburgh PWT Colin Terris-
best wishes
Jean

Offline ALLAN

• Members
"Edinburgh"
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2006, 07:11:26 PM »
Sorry, no luck yet on details of the Edinburgh weights.I have asked our finishing shop supervisor to look as well for the old books that would of contained the limited edition numbers but she doubts if they will still be around as they were not really our weights.All I can offer as info' is that all the lampwork was done by either myself or Rosette Fleming and the canes were made by Harry McKay.Fiona Steele with Rosette and I, did all the millefiori set ups as well.Various makers encapsulated the designs,including Harry,Andrew Lawson and Jeneo Lewis.The designs were a collaboration between myself and Colin Terris.Hope this is of at least some interest while I continue my search. :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand