No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Monart / Vasart 'ink bottle' find verification  (Read 877 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Monart / Vasart 'ink bottle' find verification
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2022, 06:54:07 PM »
It's the getting of copper particles into the glass that gets me worried about reactions - not the fact that once it's in, it will be fine, and oxygen is sealed away from it.

Thanks for the info about small labels, Gary! I'll ask a moderator to put a score through my wrong comment - I don't want to leave misinformation there.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2022, 07:52:41 PM »
The link isn't quite right, but you can get to the right place from it.
I knew oxygen in the air was a problem - I just didn't consider that it can be removed.  :-[

It explains other colours of aventurine too, I did know green came from Chromium, because that's how it sometimes ended up in bits of Monart - it appeared because of a chromium scum that accidentally got on top of the pot.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline new2glassbutenthusiastic

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • murano, skandi etc
    • Scotland
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2022, 09:37:03 PM »
hi again all,
I really appreciate all your responses and glad we cleared up that 'gold' aventurine issue John :), which I keep seeing everywhere. Regarding the shape Gary I have attached more photos hopefully that helps. I think the canes were also identified from an IE bottle if I recall so that would fit perfectly if it turns out to be that shape if they worked in batches. By chance I have tested with a UV light as my wee keyring light arrived yesterday for testing a Galliano Ferro sommerso bowl that I picked up which turned out to be uranium, however nothing showed up on this bottle. When you say early Monart is it possible to date with any certainty and make it an elder Salvadore or a young Paul (or other brother) piece or did they collaborate i.e stoppers by Paul for example. Just curious how long till its a proper antique? I have to say I'm pleased to find some Scottish glass with some history, since I am in Aberdeen it didn't travel too far...
regards and thanks again to all
B

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2022, 02:06:03 PM »
Definitions of "proper antique" can vary. Some say 100 years, it certainly used to be that, but I think 70 years is now considered enough.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Gary

• Members
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2022, 08:54:12 AM »
Hi Barry, thanks for extra images. Your piece is shape HE and was made between 1924 to 1939.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand