No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Glass Globe Identification Assistance  (Read 558 times)

Offline KarlHill

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Glass Globe Identification Assistance
« on: January 11, 2023, 06:30:14 PM »
Hello
I am looking for assistance in identifying the item in the attached photos.   I have been informed it is not a fire grenade nor is it a glass trap shooting ball by people in those fields.   The color actually reads a bit more purple than the photos show. 
 Looking for any help identifying what item is.
Thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Glass Globe Identification Assistance
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 04:20:43 PM »
Hi and welcome.  :)
It might actually be a small (and rather old-fashioned) domestic fire extinguisher.
It would be filled with water and thrown at a fire starting. Not very effective.
I know such items were made in Scotland by the Ysarts, circa 1930 and part of their lower end domestic wares. As Monax, they also made laboratory glass. Not easy to find one though.
But I see you are in the states. It is not impossible that a Ysart one made its way across the pond. Glass travels. But it could also be by somebody closer to your home.

I've just had a quick search online - they were made all over the place. I couldn't actually find a Ysart one. But I found others.
This link might assist, there are some illustrated here, just scroll down a couple of images.

https://www.belowstairs.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Fire_Fighting___Insurance_140.html
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline KarlHill

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2023, 04:41:32 PM »
Thank you Sue
A fire grenade was an early impression my father had of this item back in the 70's.   The mouth of the bottle seems too large.  Which is what ruled out a trap shooting target as well.  The mouth opening is also very rough, unfinished and chipped.  That rules out a bud vase in my guesses.   It is quite perplexing.  If there was only some kind of marking.  The diamond pattern in the glass is quite nice and the color is great.
Thank you so much for your reply.  I appreciated you showing me that fire grenades were actually produced so small !
Karl

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2023, 05:20:14 PM »
They were just containers so the width of the opening is irrelevant.
It was a thing to be broken when thrown - why bother finishing off and polishing the rim?
That is just a lot of extra work and expense. I have seen Ysart ones - which are really quite crude and it's only because of seeing them that I recognise what yours is.
We might have images of one somewhere here - I'll have a dig.

Your Dad knew what he was talking about.  8) ;D 8)

eta.
I've found a thread on these, but sadly the reference link to a catalogue has vanished. You might be interested in the chat which describes uses and folks' memories of them.
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php?topic=17487.10

HOWEVER - I may have spoken too soon!  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[
That link got me to the site Scotland's Glass, and I had a dig around there. I may have found your wee bottle - and according to this, it IS a target thingy - to be filled with feathers and shot at. So they still would not have to be finished off nicely and a wider neck would be easier to stuff feathers into - see the photographs here. ;D
https://ysartglass.com/Moncrieff/MoncrieffProduct.htm
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand