Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Bohemia, Czechoslovakia, Czech Republic, Austria

Czech perfume bottle - ID = Heinrich Hoffmann

(1/1)

AlysonE:
Hi, I'm new here and looking to identify a perfume bottle I inherited from my father.  Research would suggest it's by Heinrich Hoffmann and is turquoise glass featuring Leda and the swan.  I have seen similar but would like to verify the origin.  It does have some (very indistinct) markings on the base - none of which look like the Hoffmann butterfly - more like a smudge in the top right corner!

Ekimp:
Hi and welcome. There is a Heinrich Hoffmann catalogue made available by the Corning Museum here: https://www.cmog.org/library/pressed-glass-catalog?search=library_collection%3A5df091f143d2757fa9a13f92fe015777&page=108
Click download, it’s a reasonably big file.

Your bottle is shown as number 393 on page 28.

AlysonE:
Thank you so much for this.  I take it the 'smudge' on the bottom then is indeed a butterfly mark?
Where would be the best outlet to sell this please?  :)

Ekimp:
You’re welcome :) I don’t know what to expect in the way of marks. It looks like the circular mark, on the top left of your base photo, might be an acid mark with writing around it - “made in Czechoslovakia” maybe? Hopefully someone in the know will comment.

If you search online marketplaces such as eBay or the online portals for real world auction houses such as liveauctioneers.com, you should get an idea what to expect and the best place to sell.

Lustrousstone:
A Hoffmann butterfly would be in intaglio in the stopper; they were part of the mould

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version