No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Czech perfume bottle - ID = Heinrich Hoffmann  (Read 1832 times)

Offline AlysonE

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • United Kingdom
Czech perfume bottle - ID = Heinrich Hoffmann
« on: January 22, 2023, 03:34:47 PM »
Hi, I'm new here and looking to identify a perfume bottle I inherited from my father.  Research would suggest it's by Heinrich Hoffmann and is turquoise glass featuring Leda and the swan.  I have seen similar but would like to verify the origin.  It does have some (very indistinct) markings on the base - none of which look like the Hoffmann butterfly - more like a smudge in the top right corner!

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Czech perfume bottle
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 04:20:15 PM »
Hi and welcome. There is a Heinrich Hoffmann catalogue made available by the Corning Museum here: https://www.cmog.org/library/pressed-glass-catalog?search=library_collection%3A5df091f143d2757fa9a13f92fe015777&page=108
Click download, it’s a reasonably big file.

Your bottle is shown as number 393 on page 28.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline AlysonE

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 05:28:38 PM »
Thank you so much for this.  I take it the 'smudge' on the bottom then is indeed a butterfly mark?
Where would be the best outlet to sell this please?  :)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 09:05:55 PM »
You’re welcome :) I don’t know what to expect in the way of marks. It looks like the circular mark, on the top left of your base photo, might be an acid mark with writing around it - “made in Czechoslovakia” maybe? Hopefully someone in the know will comment.

If you search online marketplaces such as eBay or the online portals for real world auction houses such as liveauctioneers.com, you should get an idea what to expect and the best place to sell.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 08:14:08 AM »
A Hoffmann butterfly would be in intaglio in the stopper; they were part of the mould

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand