No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Rare Unfinished Cordial, As It Came From The Mold c.1860s, Show & Tell  (Read 2350 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  Wow, the English green hock could almost be the [fraternal] twin to my glass. Amazing, thanks.
 In relation to uranium glass I think the problem here is the usual problem, a lack of documented examples of a specific date. No shortage of other colors being produced in this and earlier periods blues,amethyst, green, etc. Certainly, it was not a simple endeaver in the 1840's as it probably became in the 1880's. As to where is this uranium glass of the 1840's from Holyrood, Pellatt. I would think that some examples do exist. Maybe un-attributed, mis-attributed as to where and when. My understanding of Bohemian glass generally is that it was based mostly/not always on a non lead glass formula. whether this applies to their uranium glass I do not know.
  The links to Heisey's marigold do seem to be down as is the site generally. Possibly maintenance. Worth a try later. Heisey did have a workable formula for uranium glass prior to 1929. Marigold is an attempt at a different shade. A bit orange shade in my opinion. Supposedly as the flower, thus the name.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
  Wow, the English green hock could almost be the [fraternal] twin to my glass. Amazing, thanks.

Do you know when I found that green glass  I was looking at it thinking it looked oddly chunky in stem and knop. Not very refined in the knop and stem compared to the bowl.   I'm now wondering if it was made like that to be cut at some point?  But was never cut, if you see what I mean?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  Taking a second look at the green hock I could almost imagine it. I think a blown blank to be cut would look way chunkier considering how much glass would have to cut away to turn a round stem into a hexagonal stem. It would be awesome to see a blown blank and the finished product next to each other. I cannot recall seeing a blown blank for cut glass.
  The Heisey links are working now. What do you think of the color?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
It's a nice 'honey' type colour.  Very dark compared to the V&A bowl for example.
Perhaps they were experimenting to try and get a different variation on the yellow then and the experiments didn't work?

m

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  From what I have read on the color it was to create a novel yellow to differentiate it from the cheaper yellow then in vogue. Your question very much to the point. A green at the edges as you look into and through the glass was commented on at the in a trade journal. A quality I associate with much uranium glass. Marigold comes across to me as a sort of intense color, unlike their non uranium yellow color sahara.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Cagney for your green glass See also here - page 163. Different period but a similar vein design wise in terms of the dimpled bowl - early 18th century, verres pivettes. French. 

I don't know if this type of design with the molded bowl is a solely French type design though.  And not sure how helpful this is because I think from what I've read (little) that these were lightweight glasses. However I suppose I was just thinking that perhaps the style was typically French maybe?

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/Beyond_Venice/K4yIWBD05qEC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=haynes+glass&pg=PA318&printsec=frontcover

Source: Beyond Venice,Glass in Venetian Style 1500-1750, Jutta-Annette Page, The Corning Museum of Glass

See also here:
https://ancientglass.wordpress.com/2021/03/10/three-facon-de-venise-wine-glasses-from-france-2/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand