No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Small patterned flint glass bottle - but what is it?  (Read 435 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
Small patterned flint glass bottle - but what is it?
« on: January 30, 2023, 07:31:13 PM »
Found this small bottle, missing stopper.
It is 4 inches tall, and is leaded flint glass with a density of 2.95g/cc which suggests mid Victorian.

But what was it for?
Scent bottle... perfume... phial... any guesses?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Small patterned flint glass bottle - but what is it?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2023, 07:50:46 PM »
Part of a condiment set?
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2023, 10:48:49 PM »
I get confused by the use of density as an aide to attribution. It is interesting, but sometimes density values seem to be used to indicate a region, and sometimes to indicate a time period (such as in this topic).

If the density varies by region but also the density changes over time in those regions, then you would need to know one of the variables before using the density to help determine the other?

So for the density of this item to indicate a time period (victorian), don’t you need to be sure of the region or factory? Likewise, when using density to indicate a region or factory, it follows that you would need to be sure of time period?

I can see how density can be used to rule out factories if it falls outside of the range ever used by a particular factory.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 07:41:36 AM »
In general I would say it should be possible to estimate the date from a visual inspection of a piece to within 20 years in most cases. If you have density charts for the major British manufacturers, you can kick out certain regions in that date range. If it's not British you are a bit stuck. I'm putting together a book or two on Manchester glass so I have several hundred readings from the area, and a number from outside the area, and a few overseas. Barrie Skelcher did a lot of work in this area in his uranium books.

As regards this bottle, somebody has a similar one, but earlier, on ebay at the moment. They've called it a late Georgian or early Victorian scent bottle. I've also seen similar shapes called a pepper bottle, so it could be a condiment.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand