No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby Glass Novelty "Oak Barrel" jug Imperial 1/2 Gill Measure  (Read 1568 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Ruby Glass Novelty "Oak Barrel" jug Imperial 1/2 Gill Measure
« on: January 31, 2023, 10:48:30 AM »
Picked up this cute piece of faceted Ruby glass yesterday it really spoke
to me it has some faded gold gilt decoration. The small jug has been crafted in the
manner of an oak barrel with iron strapping or coopering i have come across similar
pieces in the past crafted in similar ways. the 1/2 gill point is reached on the top iron
strap about 1/4" below the top a lovely little piece i was wondering is anybody had seen
similar ones before? Thanks for looking

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Ruby Glass Novelty "Oak Barrel" jug Imperial 1/2 Gill Measure
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2023, 07:42:10 AM »
Can you give the measurement of the piece in cm please?
Is there a mark on it saying 1/2 gill? Is that why you mention gill?

I ask because it wasn't produced in the UK and is handblown and cut so I'm curious.

Your photographs are not close up enough to see any gilding detail but I can see what looks to be the remains of some around the bands.

Thanks
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2023, 10:31:00 AM »
Hi M,

There is no 1/2 GILL gilded mark present.

Sure the jug measures 8 cm tall to highest part of spout
the base has a diameter of 5 cm. The gilding is very worn
mainly would have been gilded on rim and lines in between
the two horizontal straps up the handle and on the cut top
of the handle i put the label on the base as it makes me
think it might be a 1/2 GILL measure as the top Horizontal
strap is exactly when filled 1/2 GILL?  71 ml

The ruby is a lovely red color similar to some made at Richardsons
but i think i would agree with you in feeling it might be  A
Continental piece? Similar to some Moser Cutting i Guess but
lots made similar as well?

Thanks for your question!

Look forward to your reply Dan

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2023, 10:35:49 AM »
pictures a bit clearer and nearer

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2023, 08:33:57 PM »
Just looking for something else and noticed the Rindskopf mug, no. 1264, at bottom of the page in the link. Looks quite similar to your jug with the cutting and rings but parallel sides, might be of interest :)

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Rindskopf-1915.8+B6YmFja1BJRD04JnByb2R1Y3RJRD0zNTYmZGV0YWlsPQ__.0.html
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2023, 08:44:11 PM »
It's quite a traditional shape with with the rings around the panel cut.  But the design of the lip, the cut rim and the nicely cut bottom of the handle, the remaining gilding all seem to indicate to me it's an older piece and I think c.19th century.

m

Offline ian the sculptor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2023, 09:16:16 AM »
This all looks a bit wrong. Why would you have a jug without a lip? And what's the point of cutting the semi circles out of the top? They serve no purpose and could even be an inconvenience. Even as a dry measure this isn't practical. Why would you bother gilding the edge of a measure.  Is the gilding original?

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2023, 10:20:18 AM »
Just add, there was virtually an identical example in a dark blue in an antique shop I visited a while back. If it is there next time I visit I will try to take a photo. My initial thoughts were 19th Century Bohemian.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2023, 01:53:13 PM »
I have one.  It's supposed to be made in that way.  This is their design.  Countries made/make  glass designs to fit their cultural uses and this was not made in the UK. Possibly why you think the shape is curious.  It's Bohemian or German but I think Bohemian.

I have always wondered whether it would have had a fitted metal lid with the flip attached to the handle. (and if you look up steins you will find many have a fitted flip lid)

I also think I found mine was possibly made by Johann Meyr Winterberg (think I found one in a museum collection) - but since I can't find my research at the mo I can't give a source.   I do remember thinking the decoration on mine, which is quite special,  pointed to Harrach.
 I also thought I'd read that they were Ladies steins (info not from a museum source I'd read) but I can't remember now whether I believed that was right or wrong,or where I'd read that,   since I can't find my sources. Mine is not panel cut but heavily gilded and also has an hand-cut 28 point star base.

I think they date to c.1840s to 1860s.  Possibly later but that's the frame I think they fit into.

The gilding will be original.

m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2023, 02:57:38 PM »
Evidence:  here you are - you're welcome :)

https://sbirky.moravska-galerie.cz/dielo/CZE:MG.U_24893

Took me many years of searching collections (in Czech) to find that.

That one they say is Czech.  It looks like it might have been decorated with platinum.  I think Harrach used platinum.  And Harrach I believe did the  gilding on mine.

However, just to add, I always wondered if mine could have been Russian.  Couldn't find a link on shape but the decoration on mine is seen on pieces that have been identified by Bukowski as Russian.  They could have been made in Bohemia for the Russian market, but the shape on a jug they show is quite a Russian shape so at the moment I think Bukowski's could be right. It's not the same shape as our curious shape but it has a 'Russian' shape to it. It also has a link to a caviar bowl in the set.  The little jug with the similar decoration to mine also has a similar star cut base as mine.

That said ... Russian glass is extremely rare so to have found mine, yours, a blue one Greg has seen and the one in the museum collection would be quite a few really.  A few too many for it to have been Russian glass produced perhaps.  And no shape link I could find so far.

However the colour and cutting on yours does remind me of a small liqueur glass I have that is id'd as Russian (attributed to I think Bakhmetev ) by Dr Fischer Auctions. 
So that along with this blue set (Greg saw a blue one) from Christies is slightly more interesting:
https://www.christies.com/lot/lot-5274628

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand