No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruby Glass Novelty "Oak Barrel" jug Imperial 1/2 Gill Measure  (Read 1565 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Ruby Glass Novelty "Oak Barrel" jug Imperial 1/2 Gill Measure
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2023, 05:47:55 PM »
btw Korbel (name of the article in the museum link) means tankard

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2023, 11:23:11 PM »
A lid like this I mean - but shaped to fit the design of the cut rim (I've seen standard jugs with a shaped lid with flip handle).
https://www.antik-sterzinger.cz/skleneny-korbel-z-19-stoleti/

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2023, 10:23:59 AM »
 ;)
Unbelievable how some people have such an analytical data driven brain sadly mine chugs along
but i am so appreciative at the long replies given and the link from Flying Free is very interesting
to me. I could imagine the idea of a Lady sat with friends drinking a strong alcohol from one of these
would be quite funny, I'm really happy i bought it now i was in an antiques center and saw it with a £3
price tag and just couldn't leave it as i love smaller glassware pieces of no particular maker just interesting
things of good age so this will be enjoyed for a while.

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2023, 02:55:35 PM »
Hi M & Dan,

I managed to take a handful of photos of the small tankard I mentioned earlier in the thread. Apologies, the example that I saw was actually a ruby example and not blue, however, there is more decoration present on the body which is interesting to see. The top rim has also been gilded. Apologies for the quality of the photos, hope they are of interest, sadly the tankard had minor damage.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2023, 06:08:36 PM »
Thank you Greg.
Interesting that it shows clear on the base I think?  If so ruby cased over clear but very thinly and the base polished right through the ruby.
The decoration is interesting and looks Bohemian to me.  Difficult to tell if it's gilded decoration or enamelled with gilding over it on the body?

m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2023, 10:52:55 AM »
Hi M,

The base I think was just ruby and had a very shallow concave pontil mark, which makes the colour look less deep. The photos aren't great, apologies.

I'm not 100% sure about the decoration, from memory I think it was slightly raised, which would suggested also enamelled. I will try and take another look next time I visit, just to double check.

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 03:47:15 PM »
Superb thread of information i am still fairly interested in the fact that the top band is right on a 1/2 Gill
in measures of Whisky but i guess this maybe a convenient coincidence that maybe made great use of in
the future cold snaps :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 04:31:29 PM »
Hi M,

The base I think was just ruby and had a very shallow concave pontil mark, which makes the colour look less deep. The photos aren't great, apologies.

I'm not 100% sure about the decoration, from memory I think it was slightly raised, which would suggested also enamelled. I will try and take another look next time I visit, just to double check.

Thanks Greg. I also think it looks to me like enamelled decoration in cream with flat gilding. This style of decoration and the design motif I think are Bohemian and I'd put it c.1840/50, it reminds me of a uranium glass perfume bottle I have.  That bottle was I think attributed to North Bohemian and c. 1840s. 

(That said, there is always the caveat  that techniques and styles in Bohemian glass persist for lengthy periods)

Still, the enamelling technique, the design and the cut rim point to Bohemian and that period in my opinion.

Legsy I don't know what measurements they were using on the continent in the 1840s.  How many centilitres does it hold?  or millilitres?

Alcohol was far stronger then so perhaps it could be that smaller measures were required for whatever use it might have had.

m

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 03:46:23 PM »
Just to confirm, the base on the example I encountered was definitely ruby. The gilding looks to also have been applied over the enamelling.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 04:02:18 PM »
Thank you for checking Greg. That's good detail to know.

That makes 4 and I think Ivo mentioned in the depths of my memory that he had something similar so that would make 5.  Not many around really. The museum seems to only have the one and I've not spotted another in my many museum collection online searches.

Legsy thank you for the extra bigger pictures - they're fabulous.  The detailed cutting on the rim can be seen so clearly.  Beautifully cut piece.
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,72478.msg403245.html#msg403245

m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand