No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ST KILDA GLASS JAPAN  (Read 529 times)

Offline StephD

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • VASES & BOTTLES
    • AUSTRALIA
ST KILDA GLASS JAPAN
« on: February 24, 2023, 07:23:10 AM »
Hi All
I have a large glass vase and it has a sticker on it which says "ST Kilda Glass Japan" but ive searched for any info on maker and cannot come up with any info ? ANY IDEAS Welcome ...i tried to post a pic of vase but system said file too big :(
Many Thanks Steph
  :-*

Mod: Images added for Steph

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: ST KILDA GLASS JAPAN
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2023, 04:26:23 AM »
Hi Steph, welcome to the board.  We have a help topic on how to resize photos to fit the board's size limits http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,34093.0.html - if you can't get them to work though feel free to email copies to me and I'll resize them and add them to your post for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2023, 08:21:23 AM »
If you fail to get a satisfactory result here can I suggest this Facebook Group that I run.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/879947122062872

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2023, 02:06:14 PM »
I thought St. Kilda was curious name for Japanese glass, but I see it's also a suburb of Melbourne, which might be a clue.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2023, 11:32:32 PM »
Correct it is indeed a suburb of Melbourne. 

It is also a remote island off the West Coast of Scotland.

And it is also used as its initials in certain Scottish paperweights - StK.  My memory fails me as to the actual maker but I know they exist. 

Huh, here is a quote that clears up where I knew it from - "John Deacons, another Scottish glass worker, also started his glassmaking career at Strathearn Glass in 1967.  A year later in 1968, he left Strathearn and joined the new Perthshire venture.  After about ten years at Perthshire he decided to leave and start his own company, Jay Glass, in 1978, which remained in operation until 1983.  During that period, it produced paperweights under the Jay Glass label and also others signed St.K for St. Kilda and JD for John Deacons.  John Deacons continues to make paperweights under his own label today."

Ross

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 11:54:24 PM »
A little more information re St Kilda, Scotland can be found in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirta

Hirta is the largest island of the St Kilda archipelago.  The last permanent inhabitants were removed in 1930 but tourism is still active.  Particularly interesting is this line from the Wikipedia - 

"In 1764 (according to the Census),[23] there were 90 St Kildans, 105 in 1841, and 112 in 1851. The following year, 36 left for Australia, financed by the Highland and Island Emigration Society.[24] By the 1861 census, the population was only 71; by 1911 it was 74, and 43 by 1927, declining to 36 by 1930." 

St Kilda was named by Charles La Trobe, then superintendent of the Port Phillip District, after a schooner, Lady of St Kilda, which moored at the main beach in early 1842.[3]

The schooner Lady of St Kilda was named in honour of Lady Grange, who was imprisoned by her husband between 1734 and 1740 on the island of Hirta, the largest island in the St Kilda archipelago, on the western edge of Scotland.

So there was a vague connection to the Scottish location.

Ross

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand