No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Luigi Onesto like (but not him) Murano glass  (Read 628 times)

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Luigi Onesto like (but not him) Murano glass
« on: March 04, 2023, 12:50:22 AM »
This vase (?) is 6.5" (16.5 cm) high x 6" (15.2 cm) wide x 3.5" (9 cm) deep and weighs 4.7 lbs (2 kg). It is signed "G D..... Murano". I call it The Blob as it is a large, slippery chunk of glass. No idea who made this, except that it was made in Murano, Italy by "someone" (G D____?).

Google Images thinks it is by Luigi Onesto, but Onesto's signature is pretty distinctive and this ain't it. So maybe "after" Onesto? Maybe by someone in his studio?

Similar Onesto pieces here:

https://www.invaluable.com/artist/onesto-luigi-7rrm8qn9cn/sold-at-auction-prices/
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
Re: Luigi Onesto like (but not him) Murano glass
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2023, 12:53:06 PM »
Now thinking this is possibly the work of one of the glass artists at Onesto's Oball studio...

https://www.muranoglassitaly.com/oball-murano-glass/?v=7516fd43adaa
Glass mutt. I collect anything I like & find interesting & is of reasonable quality.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2023, 11:18:38 PM »
In reviewing works by Luigi Onesto, I found that he used the same color combination in some of the similar vases he made.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2023, 01:15:55 AM »
Pretty vase. Sorry no help is forthcoming but I'm interested to know what you manage to find out :)
I looked up the initials but couldn't find a maker or glass master that might fit the G and ?Dv?

m

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2023, 01:23:23 AM »
Pretty vase. Sorry no help is forthcoming but I'm interested to know what you manage to find out :)
I looked up the initials but couldn't find a maker or glass master that might fit the G and ?Dv?

m

Thanks for your comment. Yeah, the cricket noise has been overwhelming on this one. I think that "Dv" might actually be D......, maybe just a line for the rest of the letters in the last name, but that is just a guess. I will update this post if I ever find anything out about the artist. I have also posted to CollectorsWeekly and no one there has any ideas about the artist, either. Guessing there is probably a FaceBook group for Murano glass but I do not use FB.

kwqd

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2023, 01:29:41 AM »

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 01:50:51 AM »
I did find this but couldn't work out if the signature could match?

https://www.schiavonglass.com/en/catalogo/vessels/the-sommersi/pinzo-vase-with-bubbles-green-blue-ruby/

Thanks for the efforts and the link. I do not think the quality of the execution is as good as my vase, especially with all of the bubbles. I did find a couple of signed Luigi Onesto examples which use exactly the same colors as in my vase, which suggests to me that it may have been done in his studio but by a different artist in his studio. This vase was Onesto's design from what I have read about it. My vase adheres very closely to Onesto's rendering of this vase. Onesto made this vase for a very long time, so guessing quite a few of his employees also made them. I think Onesto also made if for other studios he worked for so it could be by someone with no strong connection to him at one of those studios. I guess this vase could be several decades old, by a glass artist who perhaps never gained a lot of recognition. Just my theory after looking at many examples of this vase...

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 08:12:09 AM »
Could the GD? belong to a retailer? Various Murano shops had their own labels and I am fairly sure I have seen a retailers mark engraved before.  I believe there is a Gino Onesto working as well.

John

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2023, 01:38:27 PM »
Could the GD? belong to a retailer? Various Murano shops had their own labels and I am fairly sure I have seen a retailers mark engraved before.  I believe there is a Gino Onesto working as well.

John

Thanks for your comments. Anything is possible!. Looking more closely at signed works by Gino Onesto however, he mostly signed his full name in cursive and "MURANO", but most of his work was quite large. I do see similarities in the initials on this work to his signature. The "D" on my vase could be an "O" and he just used his initials since this is a fairly small piece for him. Could not find anything signed "GD attributed to him, though.

Offline kwqd

• Members
  • Random collector.
    • Art glass
    • United States
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2023, 03:34:21 PM »
Could not find anything signed "GD attributed to him, though.

Meant "GO".... Still trying to figure out how Gino is related to Luigi Onesto. The Onestos were apparently a large family of glass makers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand