No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help required - Interesting paperweight  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Eddtheeagle

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Glass paperwieghts
    • United Kingdom
Help required - Interesting paperweight
« on: March 07, 2023, 12:23:16 PM »
Hi,

I am a new member. My main interest relating to glass is paperweights, particularly those issued by Mats Jonasson. I recently bought a lot which included a Jonasson piece along with another one which I am not able to identify. The paperweight looks to be by a quality maker but, despite extensive searches, I have not been able to trace the trademark. The piece is approximately 9.5cm in diameter and 2.5 cm wide. Photos of the front and back are attached. Any help in identifying it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Help required - Interesting paperweight
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2023, 04:56:59 PM »
Welcome to the Glass Message Board Edd.

It is possible the mark is not for the maker, all sorts of corporate logos crop up on items from time to time, maybe used as gifts or prizes, plenty of cruise line logos to be found as well. Tend to expect maker marks to be on the base.

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Eddtheeagle

• Members
    • Glass paperwieghts
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2023, 09:33:16 PM »
Thanks,

I have carried out Bing and Google image searches on the face and reverse and nothing has come up. Image searches off rubbings seem to come up with, almost exclusively, other rubbing images. I will see if I can get a reasonable image of the logo and try to search that. I understand what you say about maker's marks appearing on the base of an item as that has been my experience.

Thanks for your help

Offline Ysala

• Members
    • Scandinavian Glass
    • Germany
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 06:27:11 PM »
The shape of this reminds me of a paperweight I have (which was also my first post here, some time ago: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69536.msg387423.html#msg387423 )

The size is not exactly the same, but close. Maybe it's also the clear rim around the design that makes it look similar even though the design itself is different.

But then this form is probably not that unusual....

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2023, 12:57:28 AM »
My immediate thought is of an USA maker.  The double bases - the one you showed, and the flat section of the side that allows the weight to stand so light comes through it.  The symbol used does not mean anything to me unfortunately.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand