No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kralik Floriform Vase  (Read 2797 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Kralik Floriform Vase
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2023, 08:41:49 PM »
Just been browsing as you do and noticed that Carl Hosch, Haida, also has a couple of this type of vase. In the 1912 catalogue, Tafel 195 items 5102 and 5108 (page 35 of the download). Item 5108 is very similar. Catalogue download made available by the Corning Museum:

https://www.cmog.org/library/cat-vi-25?search=library_collection%3A572a86a7d62dfed873a045880655a02c&page=6
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2023, 09:10:12 PM »
There is some information on the Carl Hosch business here.  I just looked it up because I thought I recalled reading in Truitt's Bohemian Glass book that Hosch bought in items from various glass makers:

https://fairylamps.snappages.site/hosch-catalog

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2023, 09:25:43 PM »
That’s interesting, thanks. It’s never straight forward :)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2023, 10:49:21 PM »
 It's a bit of a minefield with the use of descriptors.  I think of Bohemian glass as ' who made it and who decorated it?'. Loetz made for other makers, so did Josephinenhutte as far as I know.  And many makers supplied to the distributors.  Then there are the glass schools.  Trying to get to grips with the 'middlemen' has eluded me.  I have to look them up every time to ensure I've got the structure right - i.e. maker, or maker and decorator, distributor, overseas agent/seller'    I still have to look at a map to see where a particular glassmaker was based complicated by the difference in German name for a region and the Czech name.  Truitts has been an invaluable book from that perspective.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2023, 10:39:29 AM »
Thanks Ekimp, another excellent Corning download, I'll put it in my collection for future reference  :). The 5108 does look similar but could be by one of several makers. Interestingly, I see further down there are examples of "Mary Gregory" glass.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 04:18:40 PM »
Yes, a useful resource. What strikes me when looking through catalogs is the amount of glass produced, and how similar lots of it is between companies and regions, especially drinking glasses.

M, I think I might have to add the Truitts book to the list :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand