No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Karl Palda Glass  (Read 363 times)

Offline ABCGlassworks

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United States
Karl Palda Glass
« on: March 18, 2023, 10:06:16 PM »
I'm a longtime collector and have a few questions about Palda glass because I've found very little authoritative information on the subject. My questions have to do with which of the bold, Bauhaus, geometrically designed glass with enamel colors were actually made by the Palda factory during the Art Deco years before World War II, and which of them were made later -- perhaps as late as the 1970s -- by other glassmakers. It's my understanding that the Palda factory only used enamelled yellow, red, black and green, with clear glass, and that pieces with other colors such as blue, pink, purple, etc. were made by other glassmakers much later. Is this true? I've seen Palda catalog pages that show the basic yellow, red, and black but no other catalogs that reflect the other colors.

A longtime dealer has informed me that Palda utilized several different colors including duck egg blue. This dealer advertises geometric vases made with about six different colors, all of which she attributes to Palda. Do you think these are authentic Palda or glass of a more recent vintage by other glassmakers?

I believe there is a great deal of confusion and misrepresentation in the market regarding what is authentically Palda. Every one of the hundreds of geometric Palda Bauhaus style glass I have seen online in the past few years, from dozens of different dealers, has been represented as authentic Palda. Not a single piece has been attributed to different or later manufacture. This, of course, is impossible: I believe that many, if not most of the pieces, were not actually made by Palda, but are being advertised with his name in order to achieve a higher price. I realize that without authoritative documents or a time machine some of these questions may be impossible to definitively answer. So I greatly appreciate it when you differentiate between what is fact and what is opinion.

Thanks very much and best regards,

Harris

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand