No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Fused sphere surface decoration query.  (Read 1581 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Fused sphere surface decoration query.
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2023, 08:47:09 PM »
Interestingly, this is a Baccarat reference but I think the shape is ... pretty much the same apart from no bubbly decoration between the lobes and foot width seems to be a bit wider than yours. Correct base as well
Scroll down to Seite 15 von 17
Pressglas-Korrespondenz 2103-3

https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2013-3w-vogt-bacc-louis-opalin-vasen.pdf

See Number 20 on the page of Vases de Fantaisie (Suite)  from MB Baccarat 1865  Planche 38

So possibly yours may date around that period?

Came across this again on a different PK.  I think the shape is remarkably similar to your vase.  I know it doesn't have the bubbly bit but I'm just curious.  Saint Louis and Baccarat did do a few shapes the same in earlier catalogues.  By this time I don't think they were operating a joint venture any more but it's interesting to see the shape comparison.  It could read 165mm in height?  how tall is yours?
m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2023, 09:11:27 AM »
Sorry, been away :) My vase is about 175mm tall.

I did previously look at that vase no.20 in your reply above. Although it looks a similar overall shape, I think the moulding of the bulbous section is quite different, not just the lack of the balls. It looks like each segment of the moulding on no.20 is identical and of a plain convex section, mine uses two different shaped segments, the segment without balls is a ribbed section.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2023, 10:59:58 AM »
And some more an interesting information here see Seite 6 von 17 - needs to be translated.  Re the Amic, Manoni and Vincendeau books.

https://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de/aktuelles/pdf/pk-2013-3w-vogt-bacc-louis-opalin-vasen.pdf
From reading the PK article, it looks like Vincendeau 1998 is a rework of Amic 1952. The article seems only to have good things to say about the content of Amic 1952. Looks like that was based on sample books from Baccarat and Saint-Louis, which are hard to access.

I can’t see a reason to trust Amic and Vincendeau any less than any other reputable author on glass.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2023, 10:28:31 AM »
In this link, you can see the same photograph from Vincendeau as shown in the PK article linked in reply 21 but with the original French annotation.

https://www.1stdibs.com/en-gb/furniture/more-furniture-collectibles/collectibles-curiosities/books/les-opalines-christine-vincendeau-first-edition/id-f_6444953/?modal=intlWelcomeModal

French annotation:

Flacon de cheminée tricolore et son bouchon fleur en opaline jaune et blanche « pâte de riz»
décor moule par soufflage, dit « à grenade éclatée», décor rapporté en opaline bleue figurant un serpent s'enroulant autour du col au bord ondulé (doc. Compagnie des cristalleries de Saint-Louis). Manufacture de Saint-Louis.
Années 1845-1855.

Annotation Google translated:

Tricolor chimney flask and its flower stopper in yellow and white opaline “rice paste”
decoration molded by blowing, called "exploded pomegranate", decoration added in blue opaline depicting a snake winding around the neck with a wavy edge (doc. Compagnie des cristalleries de Saint-Louis). Manufacture of Saint-Louis.
Years 1845-1855.

Presumably “doc. Compagnie des cristalleries de Saint-Louis” is the original source, a document from the company?

For reference, Google translating the annotation from PK:
"Tricolor chimney flask ... in yellow and white opaline rice paste, decoration molded by blowing [form-geblasen], said with exploded pomegranate ... snake winding around the neck aus Vincendeau 1998, S. 88
St. Louis, Frankreich, 1845-1855

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2023, 10:41:27 AM »
Sorry, been away :) My vase is about 175mm tall.

I did previously look at that vase no.20 in your reply above. Although it looks a similar overall shape, I think the moulding of the bulbous section is quite different, not just the lack of the balls. It looks like each segment of the moulding on no.20 is identical and of a plain convex section, mine uses two different shaped segments, the segment without balls is a ribbed section.

Agree with you. I had another closer look after I'd posted it and thought the same about the segments.  Apologies for the diversion :)

On the reference point, I also think if Vincendeau gives the reference as 'doc. Saint Louis', then it reads that she has had it corroborated at/by Saint Louis. 

On another link one of the sellers had also stated it was in the Grand Halle at Saint Louis. I couldn't find it in the pictures online but there are very very few and the museum has a huge collection of pieces.

m

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2023, 03:32:48 PM »
That’s good then, thanks.

Out of interest, I came across a photo of a group of opaline items, it looked like the vase in the middle might be the No.20 vase. https://www.kapandji-morhange.com/lot/82336/7023302

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand