No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Uranium opaline gilded jewelled enamelled late 19th century vase  (Read 565 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I thought I'd share this vase :)  Bought for my dining room which is decorated inspired by these colours:

https://veryimportantlot.com/en/lot/view/dessert-teller-aus-dem-gotischen-service-kaiserli-257637

It's think it's possibly Bohemian but I've not been able to find a comparison. A possibility because of the  opaline colour and the orange and black decoration. Also it's mold blown with a beautifully rounded rim bevelled on the inside.  Perhaps Harrach as they made a pale stone/bone/grey opaline?

That said, that pale opaline also appears in Russian 19th century glass:

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/pasarel-ltd/catalogue-id-srpa10000/lot-bdd52d36-6adf-4769-b37a-a3f700dbad04

The gilding is a bright gilding and is applied directly onto the glass. Both are features of Russian decoration as are the jewels.  However despite extensive searching in the collections I've not found a comparison piece.   The jewelled items I've found have red and green beads rather than blue.

However, the shape is very much the shape of the silver enamelled tea caddies by Antip Kuzmichev which date to late 19th century.  I'd have thought the glass vase was a bit earlier perhaps more like 1870s?

https://www.1stdibs.com/en-gb/jewelry/objets-dart-vertu/enamel-frames-objects/antip-kuzmichev-enamel-tea-caddy/id-j_68413/?modal=intlWelcomeModal

https://www.1stdibs.com/en-gb/jewelry/objets-dart-vertu/enamel-frames-objects/antip-kuzmichev-enamel-tea-caddy/id-j_68413/

My new favourite piece :)

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Uranium opaline gilded jewelled enamelled late 19th century vase
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2023, 05:46:02 PM »
Super piece, love the beaded decoration with the enamelling. Can quite easily see why it's a new favourite!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 07:03:37 PM »
 :) I got confused. I clicked on your first link m, and it brought up a really lovely bit of porcelain, in my sitting room colours.

"Dessert-plates from the Gothic Service, Imperial porcelain manufactory, St. Petersburg, Russia, dated 1897"
Your new piece is not those very bright colours, but it is absolutely you. 8)
Some folk can manage elegant without effort, others shouldn't bother even trying.

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2023, 07:05:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing :) Nice condition too.

Are the jewels stuck on cold or hot? When looking for my vase I noticed one with blue and red jewels but they are faceted and look like held in place by metal collars. You’ve probably seen it and there is no connection but it’s here: https://glaswolf.de/neueingaenge/3538/uran-glasvase-mit-damenportraets.-graeflich-harrach-sche-glasfabrik-neuwelt-2.h.-19.jh.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2023, 09:15:25 PM »
Thank you  :)  I'm really pleased with it.

Sue the dining room is the bright colours of the plate - the soft furnishings are a mix of those colours but mostly dark aubergine and emerald green with the exception of the cushion shown.  The glass is mostly opaline and brightly coloured in there.
I think this will fit in perfectly.  I've just taken a quick group pic with a few of the other pieces of glass :)

Ekimp the beads on that vase you linked to are glued into a  raised enamel surround that's been fired on and then gilded before setting the stones.  It looks like a metal mount but I'm pretty sure it isn't.  On mine they've also been glued on and set into little surrounds of dots made of raised enamel.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 04:13:09 PM »
  The grey I found is a pale brown called 'Grau' I think.  But it's not this light grey opaline.  There is also a 'taubgrau' but that's a paler brown/lilac opaline.
There is one vase in a 'beinglas', (that might be uranium opaline) in a pale green though.  c.1877-1878 page 245 in From Neuwelt to the Whole World.

Nothing with this design of enamelling in these colours in the book.  And no shape match.
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 05:16:20 PM »
I think I've found the glass and colour match.  In Das Bohmische Glas Band III page 101 there is a set of three vases in what I think is the same pale blue/grey opaline. They are documented as Harrach c.1870 and referred to as 'Beinglas'.

On page 113 there is a lidded cup with repetitive geometric enamelling which has a similar vibe (but isn't the same) to my vase. It's by Meyr's Neffe, Adolf bei Winterberg and is described as 1884 Turkische Serie. 
So it could be that my vase is a bit later than I think.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand