No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Do I not understand? Lead in glass a barrier to fluorescence of uranium opaline?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  As the PK comment seems to lack a certain context, I guess we have just the facts as stated. I can'y imagine that the V&A QV bowl would be non-lead glass, as its mate in the CMOG is lead glass. The photo from V&A may lead you astray because of the lighting. Lighting can be important in regards to uranium lead glass. You may find this example interesting, if not illuminating.

Pictured is an old timey real photograph c.1991. I took this photograph under incandescent light, no flash. I know for a fact that the pillar molded and cut vases in the photograph are the exact same vases pictured in this linkhttps://jeffreysevans.com/auction/pillar-molded-and-cut-pair-of-vases/ The presentation noticeably different?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
ah, thank you!  I obviously didn't read the Corning information if it was on there.  Thanks so much.
Also yes the photographs. The Corning has one which is not lit iirc but it's still hard to discern what the colour is really like.  It's quite difficult to compare colour unless seeing comparisons in real life I think.
Thank you for that Cagney. So info so far on the V&A bowl - it's lead uranium glass, and apparently produced by Davenports at very short notice to supply for the Coronation banquet held at Guildhall in November 1837. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I think Siegmar may have meant to say that when you set out to colour a piece with uranium you better use standard glass. No need for lead crystal to bring out the colour. But I have a finger bowl from Baccarat around 1840 which is high quality crystal with uranium, turning it into Chrysoprase, an opaque opaline. I also have its companion, high quality dark green lead crystal. FWIW.

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
This is a good description of why uranium glass fluoresce.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/science/a39995070/why-does-uranium-glass-glow/#
The UV causes an electron in the uranium atom to jump up a number of states (ie excited) as the electron drops back to its ground state (state by state) it can give off photons of lower energy.

And here are a few other materials that also cause glass to fluoresce.
https://libanswers.cmog.org/faq/143932
Different energy levels between the different states is why the colours vary by material.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Thank you Ivo :)  Would love to see your dark green uranium Baccarat finger bowl to make a comparison to my tumblers of same period.

Thank you Taylog :)

Interesting comment in that article in the link to Library CMOG (my bold - see quote below), in that I am pretty sure my old tumblers are lead glass and they're both green.  Have I misunderstood what I'm reading? 

'Leaving out the exotic elements not found in ordinary glasses, the responses are more-or-less as follows:

U (Uranium)-- A very strong bright-green response. The color of the glass itself in visible light is usually a bright yellow or yellowish-green, or an amber color in a lead matrix
[/b]. ...'

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Barrie Sketcher mentions lead glass weakening the uranium fluorescence from uv light. Page 3 para 3: https://www.glassassociation.org.uk/sites/default/files/Uranium_Glass_sample_article.pdf
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand