No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help identifying Vase with Cut Out Red Overlay from Signature  (Read 902 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Help identifying Vase with Cut Out Red Overlay from Signature
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 07:39:55 PM »
I agree with you about the 'stop' after what looks like a V, but it's odd that both Ivo and I thought the same thing about the use of the word Stikla so definitely worth keeping an open mind about where this might have originated.

I still think it's worth writing to Ajka and asking them it if may have come from there.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline In2harmony

• Members
  • Always appreciate the great help from all members
    • studio glass
    • Scotland
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 09:43:44 PM »
Thanks flying free - I certainly will keep it in mind (but it does seem a bit like putting "wood" on a carving).

I am following up your suggestion of contacting Ajka.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 10:02:11 PM »
Thanks flying free - I certainly will keep it in mind (but it does seem a bit like putting "wood" on a carving).

:) it does. And it probably doesn't read 'Stikla'.  I think it can only read V. Stefan. However there have been instances of odd or confusing signatures on cameo pieces for a long time going back to the Art Nouveau period.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand