No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Opalescent Posy Vase Metal Water Lily  (Read 766 times)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Opalescent Posy Vase Metal Water Lily
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2023, 07:39:35 AM »
So definitely a salt although it could be used fortoothpicks, I've got this 1953 ex-military EPNS spoon to go with it, I'll have to look out for an earlier one.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2023, 12:42:58 PM »
It can be really hard to work out true sizes from photos.  ::) I have seen and handled Christine's one, the only one I have ever encountered and I suspect I am assuming they're all very similar - but Flying-free's pair look shorter and easier to access the contents.
Now, I'm starting to imagine great banquetting tables with all sorts of various sizes of these beauties offering their various contents to the guests.  ;D

If looking out for quality second hand cutlery, you can't go far wrong with anything called "Staybrite", specifically Firth Staybrite. It's extremely hard steel which really does not tarnish. The pieces tend to be very plain - the steel is too hard for successfull embossing which is why it fell out of favour and the softer steel of Old Hall took its place.
Mine still looks brand new after over 40 years of being shoved in a dishwasher. It was an unused set made in the '30s I inherited.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2023, 12:52:38 PM »
Not mine Sue  :)  They were Greg's.  They're very pretty and actually useful still on a table.  I use my Harrach crackle glass nautilus shells but only at Christmas.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2023, 01:39:19 PM »
Salts are items which have become relevant again now, if you like using sea salt flakes at table rather than pouring salt.
They're an excuse to indulge in beautiful old glass for everyday use and general life enhancement.
 :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 09:24:48 AM »
I won't be using it as I don't add salt to my food, I suppose I'll just have to look at it  ;D.
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 01:18:39 PM »
I'm not a salt user either - except for a little on spuds. So I do need my little Pantin pink and amber opalescent salt with the gold surface. It's lovely knowing how old it is when I take a tiny pinch.
Unfortunately, I then have leave the table to go and wash my hands. The salt left on my fingers is far too much to lick off.  It's not really very practical.
But it's worth it for the joy of using my salt. ;D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand