No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Frosted floral enamelled vase.  (Read 407 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Frosted floral enamelled vase.
« on: May 11, 2023, 08:55:48 PM »
Got this a while ago, French c1920 maybe? Just a guess. There are other shapes with the same decoration as though painted to a template (but have lost the link).

Don’t think it’s anything special but the frosting is interesting, it looks like an applied fired on finish (rather than acid etching or abrasive matting). Almost like a very fine overshot technique.

I think it might be similar to the base of Davenport frosting which sounds like it was an applied glass paste. See here: https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,70876.msg394467.html#msg394467

On my vase, you can see that the frosting was painted on with the rings going around the circumference of the vase. The surface texture can not be scraped away with a scalpel. I don’t know if this was a widely used technique or if it’s useful for dating or to hint at origin.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Frosted floral enamelled vase.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 08:36:19 PM »
I always look at these or similar and think 1950s for some reason.  They probably are earlier.

Nice to see close up of the etched surface.

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 02:10:09 PM »
If it's mold blown with a cut rim possibly not French?  Perhaps more likely Czechoslovakian?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 04:31:18 PM »
Yes, it has a cut rim. Quite light and thin (including the base) with no pontil mark. I think I saw a jug with the same flowers but can’t find it again. :(

I’ve included another couple of photos of the frosting. You can see a mark on the edge where the applied frosting was accidentally pushed down before firing, leaving a small clear patch and forming a ridge (the ridge is approximately 1.5mm long).
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand