No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amber and white trail vase - ID please  (Read 829 times)

Offline obscurities

• Members
    • Bohemian and Czech glass
    • Gatesville, Texas
    • Kralik-Glass.com
Re: Amber and white trail vase - ID please - Nailsea?
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 02:14:10 PM »
The most commonly seen Welz decors in this style do not use thin threads like this, but wider flatter trailings in the glass which look a little more like small ribbons. This uses the threads, which is uncommon for a piece of Welz production. Additionally the "ribbons" used on this type of production generally appear off what, which is a result of a thin casing layer over the white of a light caramel. This does not appear to have that. Both of these details do not disqualify it from being Welz though.

The rim of the piece is hexagonal is shape, which is quite commonly seen on Welz stick and thorn vase production. I would add that to the best of my knowledge, British production as a general rules does not. The foot design is such that it is also less frequently seen on Welz than other styles of applied feet. Because of the pattern of the decor on the attached pic, it is difficult to make out the upward pulls of clear glass onto the body from the foot, but it is on the vase of mine also.  Lacking stated measurements in the post, I am assuming that this piece is likely in the 8 inch tall range. 

Finding a Welz example of production like this, in a vase lacking windings or trailed rigaree is also not as common, but again, not unheard of and not a disqualifying feature.

All of this being noted and said, I do actually believe that this is an example of Welz production in an uncommon form. The attached image is an example of Welz production in an infrequently seen decor, but a decor solidly linked to Welz production through a couple of key shapes. My example does not have applied rigaree on the body of the vase, but the foot style on this vase and mine are of the same aesthetic.

Would it be OK if I copy your pics for use in my research, and eventually on my website? 

Great example, and in a variant of the spiral decor I have not seen before... at least that I recall.

I have been told that glass is my mistress......

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
Re: Amber and white trail vase - ID please
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2023, 08:43:46 AM »
Another but this time square section rather than hexagonal. I remember seeing an iridescent green variation some time ago, also square section with spirals running up the chimney shape, it did not have feet like these two though.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand