No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: 1920s-30s (?) Messenger's streaky/bubbly glass table lamp. Converted, perhaps?  (Read 480 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Recently bought this very large pear-shaped streaky/bubbly glass lamp, with brass parts marked Messenger's (trademark for lighting firm Samuel S Messenger & Sons, Birmingham). Messenger's closed down in the early 1930s after around 100 years of trading. The glass is a very nice vivid green-blue, with brown streaks and subtle opal streaks that only really show up when back-lit.

Two questions, because I can't find anything very similar:

1: Did it start life as an electric table lamp, or is it some kind of (possibly older) oil lamp base with later electrification?

Indicators it might not have:

The part that the bulb-holder is attached to screws on with the kind of tabbed screw-on fitting you find on kitchen things like pressure cookers and coffee grinders (I'm sure it has a proper name), which is unusual for electric lamps (but not unwelcome - it meant I could hide an earth tag inside and keep the old bulb-holder).

The inside of the lamp, when I bought it, was covered in many blobs of dried creosote that took a full day to soften and carefully remove with a stick, and made my kitchen smell like an old man's garden shed.

If this is the case, it wouldn't have been electrified too recently - the bulb-holder is almost certainly pre-war, and its manufacturer, J H Tucker and Co (also Birmingham), was bought up and vanished in the 1960s.

2: Who might've made the glass? It's very pretty, and almost looks like the kind of thing you'd expect from Sweden in the 1950s/60s. It reminds me of Clutha glass, but it's much more bubbly than other pieces I've seen.

Thanks for looking!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
The bubbles are a little bit Biot-ish, but I don't know if they were going that long ago and I don't know if they ever made lampshades. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
1956, according to their site.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Could someone have used an older lamp and transferred the parts?  Although I should think this might have been impossible given the size at the neck etc.  Does it have a polished pontil mark at all?

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
The base is moulded, so it probably always had fittings of some kind on top. I don't see any reason why the Messenger parts would be an addition, although the bulb-holder could be.

That said, the thread on the top of the Messenger part, where the bulb-holder attaches, is 1/2" / 26tpi, which was the British standard for electric light fittings (and motorcycles), and not too much else as far as I know.

It's a bit baffling.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand