No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Amberina Glass Cloche ID  (Read 414 times)

Offline kitkatyankee

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Unusual and rare Glass Pieces
    • United States
Amberina Glass Cloche ID
« on: June 19, 2023, 09:01:36 PM »
Hi there,

Emailing from Asheville, North Carolina. I was recently at an estate auction and found this beautiful Amberina (or reverse amberina?) glass cloche. I have been searching high and low for it's origin and have not been able to find anything like it on the web. Can anyone help me ID this piece? It is about 10" tall and 6" across the bottom. The bottom is ground slightly so that it is completely flat. It also has some subtle fluting. Thank you in advance for your help!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Amberina Glass Cloche ID
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 09:53:12 AM »
There are some similar cheese bells in this Legras catalogue but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

https://www.glas-musterbuch.de/Legras-1896.114.0.html
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 03:50:42 PM »
 :) It's not amberina which is a two-toned colour combination achieved with heat, but I do think it might be what is called golden amber, which has a lovely warm rosy glow rather than the somewhat muddy kind of plain amber.
A slightly mysterious object. Not for display purposes protecting something, because of the colour, but to protect something from some light in case it spoils. So a cheese or butter dome would seem more likely, but it's quite tall, with rather a small base for that.
The fluting suggests it's really quite an upmarket decorative thing - supposed to be seen wherever it is. If it's golden amber, that would fit with it being a bit posh too.  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2023, 12:05:49 PM »
Hi, welcome to the forum.

I saw one similar to this today, about the same size but in clear glass. It had ribs with a slight twist and the knob at the end and seemed reasonably well made/blown.

Below the lip at the open end there was a metal band on the outside, about 1.5cm wide, with three equispaced hooks welded on such that it would hang from the hooks with the open end up, so assume some sort of planter. It looked commercial and modern.

It looks like your example expands just before the opening, so that would retain a hanging ring that was slipped on from the bottom. So maybe a planter.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum