No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vaseline blown moulded cut glass jug  (Read 885 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Vaseline blown moulded cut glass jug
« on: July 08, 2023, 08:41:22 PM »
Would appreciate any help on this style of jug as it’s got me a bit baffled date style etc comes with Polished Pontil quite fine and thin, reminds me of a barrel apart  from the shape with vertical flutes and horizontal banding. 12cm high.Thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Re: Vaseline blown moulded cut glass jug
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 12:19:27 AM »
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2023, 05:46:57 AM »
Ekimp, thanks so much that’s great, older than I thought it is well made and looks very similar I think this looks a bit like a tall coal scuttle?
I’m more familiar with  Victorian pressed glass and on occasion early 19c English glass but this is so different. So I’m pleased it’s in the Bohemian direction.Cheers Mike

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2023, 09:41:25 AM »
 :) Flying free’s Czech research.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2023, 09:58:34 PM »
That's a really pretty piece.  The colour is what I'd call citrine although I don't think it was called that in the 19th century.  It's lovely. I've been having a look through various collections of that mid 19th period to see if there was a match for the colour but so far none same to have that lovely slightly honey yellow, they're all more acidic.

m

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2023, 09:50:05 PM »
Thanks M, yes it’s quite a pale straw colour rather than deep Vaseline. It’s also quite thin and delicate compared to the Victorian pressed glass that I’m more familiar with. I can’t find much in the way of this colour for Harrach.
Thanks Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2023, 10:40:38 PM »
just attaching this link for one dated c1850

https://sbirky.moravska-galerie.cz/dielo/CZE:MG.U_24893

It could be difficult to pinpoint a maker.  In the early part of the 19th makers were making their own recipes for various colours.  It's difficult to work out who did what and made what colours.
Date wise - mine is pink glass with a 26 point ridged hand cut base.  The decoration is heavily all-over gilded and the type and style of the decoration is very similar to a similarly coloured pink set shown in Das Bohmische Glas Band II on page 86 dated c1840 Neuwelt. 
The decoration on mine is also similar in style and delivery to that on a becher (plate 178) shown in From Neuwelt to the Whole World on page 146 which is dated c.1840.
And also to decoration shown on Buquoy glass from c.1834 (source: Das Bohmische Glas Band II page 170 Plate ll.250 and ll.249.

Bukowski shows a jug which has the same gilding as mine, same cut base, same colour glass - different shape:
https://www.bukowskis.com/en/auctions/F171/318-a-russian-glass-sauce-jug

Not entirely sure they are correct on their id of it being Russian but that jug shape is unusual.  However I think it's possibly Bohemian. They also date it c.1850. 

Whilst it's always difficult to date designs and decoration I feel fairly sure mine belongs c.1840-1850.

During this time from my reading and understanding of what I read, there were lots of new developments/experiments in developing coloured glass in Bohemia including yellow uranium glass.

In Das Bohmische Glas Band II page 93 there is a Deckelpokal shown which looks quite similar in colour uranium glass to yours but I think darker. Not sure it could be called 'citrine' really. It's referred to as 'Annagelb oder Goldkristall'.  It's hard with lighting and photographs to tell.  I'll have a go at translating what they say about the glass but it's dated c1840.  There are two bechers on the following page as well also pale yellow uranium glass but I'm not sure any are as pale as yours.  They are dated c.1840 and all are denoted as 'Nordbohmen' .
The translation of the pokal colour description appears to say that Bohemian Forest glassmakers including Harrach played a large part in production of uranium glass.

The nearest pale yellow colour I can find that appears to be closest to yours of that period is a jug on page 179 of Farbenglas l Neuwirth.  It is described as 'Chamaleonglas' J Meyr Adolfshutte before 1837. 

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2023, 05:54:21 PM »
Thanks M for all that info and your time, I have a copy of Farbenglas l and agree it’s that kind of colour. In which case it’s great condition for its age.
Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2023, 06:01:50 PM »
It's quite odd that only 4 or 5 in that shape have come to light.  I do periodically wonder what they were used for.  Mine iirc is in perfect condition including all the gilding.  Mind you I also have a gilded piece of 1820 French opaline also in perfect condition.  The ones that survived the cupboard usage or the mass throwing out?
Perhaps they were some kind of small jug used for something specific? They are kind of small tankard shape with the rim cut out deliberately. With the bands on some ( https://sbirky.moravska-galerie.cz/dielo/CZE:MG.U_24893 ) making it look as though they are brewing related.
 An easy way of making a jug for something to do with beer/drinking perhaps? i.e. use the tankard shape and cut out the rim - quick, easy to do, decorate.
I've just double checked google translate and 'korbel' can also translate from Czech as 'pitcher'.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand