No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue 'Venetian' ? Vase.  (Read 435 times)

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
Blue 'Venetian' ? Vase.
« on: July 09, 2023, 07:17:54 AM »
I couldn't resist buying this vase when I saw it in a shop window.  Great design, beautiful shade of blue and Art Deco enamelling(?).

According to the shop owner she got it from an elderly lady, who was given it by her mother.  Her mother collected only "Venetian Glass".

I'm mostly interested in Pressed Glass and would appreciate any help I.D-ing it as I have searched images of Venetian Glass and can't find anything that looks remotely like this. I've also searched images of Palda and Moser as I do know they often enamelled their work, but again nothing that looks like this.

I'm guessing it might be Cut Glass, as I can't find anything that looks like mould seams and also guessing that it is enamelled.  It's 12 sided and stands 8 inches in height.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
Re: Blue 'Venetian' ? Vase.
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 10:53:05 AM »
Lovely vase, I can see why you purchased it.

Definitely panel cut. The style is very Bohemian/ Czech, although I wouldn't completely rule out Germany.

Its difficult to ascertain the age from the photos, there are a few modern reproductions around...some of the Karl Palda designs are being reproduced.

Determining the age may help narrow the search. Love the Art Deco style enamelling.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 09:46:18 AM »
When I saw it through the shop window , I thought it might be Landeskronen, simply because I have one piece of theirs (a comb tray) and that's cut glass and enamelled.  Comparing the two, the Landeskronen enamelling is different in style and finer in its detail, so then thought, probably not. 

Also the vase looks to be rather better finished, more regular, while the comb tray is distinctly irregular with non-parallel edges.

Do you know if there is such a thing as Venetian cut glass?  The images I looked at all looked more like mouth-blown glass? 

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 11:05:14 AM »
I'm not that familiar with Landeskronen, however a quick google brings up a good selection for comparison.

Stylistically your vase looks more central European to my eye. For example, if you compare some Josef Hoffmann panel cut glass vases stylistically they look much closer to your piece than Venetian glass. (not saying your piece is a Hoffman design, however the style is comparable)

The age of your vase is tricky, the enamelling looks to be in very good condition, also there is not a tremendous amount of base wear from what I can see. I presume the top rim of your vase is cut..?

Sure there is such a thing as Venetian cut glass in as much as its just another cold working process, there's lots of Murano facet cut glass and battuto glass for example, however, the style is quite different to your vase.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 12:15:29 PM »
It whispers "Belgium" to me.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 07:23:46 PM »
It was mumbling Baccarat? (with the question mark) to me.
I have seen (period) Baacarat with art deco designs added as surface decor.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline theElench

• Members
    • Art Deco
    • England
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2023, 09:09:02 AM »
Thank you Greg, I can definitely see the stylistic similarity to Josef Hoffmann.  Looking at images of his work and found that he was associated with Moser and looking again at Moser found this "Moser Carlsbad Bowl Vase Bohemia Gold Topaz um 1925" for sale on ebay. 

I'm not sure whether I should reproduce an image from a business seller, especially with a watermark, so add the item number; 195690526489.

It's certainly the nearest I've come to anything looking so similar to the vase.

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2023, 09:45:24 AM »
I thought Moser, it reminded me of the ones they made with a gold frieze around. This site is interesting although your vase isn't shown.

https://www.moser.com/file/edee/downloads/moser_book_eng.pdf
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand