No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Clear and Opalescent Uranium Vase.  (Read 696 times)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Re: Clear and Opalescent Uranium Vase.
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2023, 09:15:25 PM »
  The reason we call it fiery opalescent over here. The conditions under which you photographed  your glass had a lot to do with the effect I think. So I tried to mimmic your conditions. Although the creamer is not as dense? [for lack of a better term] in opalescence as your vase. Some success achieved and managed to isolate  the most dense area, the pontil, and a nice purple red much desired by amberina collectors appeared. The lacy plate an after thought, but does show the effect in a small way, purely by accident.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Clear and Opalescent Uranium Vase.
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2023, 10:35:18 PM »
Just to add the foot on my vase was made separately and applied to the base of the vase. This would explain why it is a bit misshapen as the feet were often made by lesser skilled workers or apprentices. I've seen it on other pieces but with this one in particular when held up to the light, the opalescence turns to amberina.

It doesn't turn to amberina - it looks amber/red in colour when held to light.  This effect comes from the recipe used in the making of the batch.

I'll try and find a link to the explanation of how Murano girasol glass is made .  edited to add:

Link here:
https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,65797.msg367997.html#msg367997

See also this information here posted by Anne Tique:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,65797.msg368127.html#msg368127

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand