Glass Discussion & Research. NO IDENTIFICATION REQUESTS here please. > Scandinavian Glass

Wrythen Stemmed Georgian Ale Glass - ID = Greta Runeborg-Tell for Ekenäs

(1/3) > >>

NevB:
I think I'm right in calling this an ale glass and dating it from around 1800. It is 4.75" tall, rim diameter 4" and foot diameter 3.5". It has a stepped rim to the foot which has a ground pontil and lots of wear. The glass contains lots of what look like bubbles but are perhaps tiny spots of sand. I can't find another of this type where only the stem is wrythen. I also think the colour is due to iron oxide in the sand used, Scottish Antiques have a glass which they say points to glass from the Kent/Sussex weald but I'm not sure if they were even making glass in the area at that time.

NevB:
A close up of the stem. Also it weighs 300gms and rings nicely.

Lustrousstone:
The colorant is likely iron but more likely deliberate than accidently from the sand IMO

Ekimp:
There is a two piece dwarf ale glass from the late 18th century shown in Bickertons Eighteenth-Century English Drinking Glasses that has a wrythen stem that stops at the start of the bowl, a bit like yours. It’s 5.25 inches tall.

I don’t think yours is an ale/dwarf ale glass though, as the proportions look wrong. For example, the dwarf ale I mention in Bickerton is about the same height, but looks about half the diameter.

NevB:
Yes Christine the colour is consistent so most likely would have come from added iron. Ekimp, calling it an ale glass was a bit of a guess, I couldn't find another the same shape and size. The book reference seems to confirm the date.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version