No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Old Glass Collector Needed to look at an early Jug thank you for your views..  (Read 336 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Loved to come across this little beauty it has me bubbling over when i saw it i
thought it has the typical green used in making of bottle glass at Bristol/Nailsea and Wrockwardine
In Shropshire we are nearby on the border also which leads me to think it might be one of them
where it was made. The jug has been decorated with white enamels on the body and some quite
detailed patterns on the rim i have seen others in the Nailsea book by Keith Vincent with similar rim patterns.
The body patterns however more unusual to my eyes and i have seen other makers that carried out this sort
of decoration but cannot remember where i saw that but think it might have been Continental possibly...
The body has vertical ribbing mainly felt internally a nice piece of skill.
The jug seems to look 18th century to my eyes but would rather someone with a better knowledge to see it
and see what they think about date and where it might have been made.
It's a small cream jug and quite wonky sort of Naive as might be expected or desired. With a sharp scar and wonky foot.
thank you for looking.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
few more pictures

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
It looks like it was made using Wilkinson’s method. That would make it post 1905 though. Have a look here:

https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,69040.msg384526.html
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
I suspect the general technique predates Wilkinson's patent, which is quite sophisticated.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
When talking about the technique, Hajdamach does say “…patented a technique using threaded glass which must have been known to nineteenth century glassmakers…”. He doesn’t provide evidence for that though.

If there were articles like this jug around in the 19th century, it’s surprising that the manufacturing technique wouldn’t be widely known, and not patentable. It seems reasonably easy to work out how it was done when you can see the decoration progressing from a threaded spiral at the bottom to fully formed dots at the top, all on a ribbed body.

Wilkinson’s specification states “…The usual method of ornamenting glass articles with beads is to put each one on separately”, he goes on to describe his ‘new’ process with the threading.

Description of Wilkinson’s technique (my paraphrasing Hajdamach/Wilkinson from the other topic): The technique involved winding a coloured glass thread onto a vertically ribbed shape so that the thread only sticks to the peaks of the ribs. The shape is then spun and heated. Spinning stops the thread sticking to the shape in the troughs between ribs and heating breaks the thread where it hasn’t stuck, the broken threads melt back to a blob or spot where it adhered to the rib peaks. This gives an effect of vertical rows of uniformly spaced spots. It can then be blown and shaped as desired.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand