No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A Creamer from the Empire Suite - but who made it?  (Read 309 times)

Offline neilh

• Members
A Creamer from the Empire Suite - but who made it?
« on: August 26, 2023, 07:23:21 AM »
The pattern shown here was called the "Empire" suite. It was illustrated as a large "premier pressed crystal suite" in a Pottery Gazette advert from 1922. The seller was John Jenkins of London, who ran a store selling a mix of UK and overseas tableware. He claimed to be the exclusive seller of this suite. The original date of the pattern could be pre-war though.

I have density tested it and it is non-lead, which rules out Manchester makers, not many alternatives left for UK pressed glass makers in the 1920s. Could well be overseas.

I've seen this pattern a few times since I bought the creamer, I don't think it's rare. The pattern is a top row of shells/fans, a body of kite shapes, and a distinctive vertical scoring within triangles around the rim of the base.

Any ideas?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand