No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vase with four sets of applied triple 'ear' handles - ID = Sowerby 2597 pattern  (Read 3067 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I have looked at this vase for months at the dealers and searched all of Pamela's pressglas and also Marcus's cd and book and Mark Hill's and nothing (unless I have missed it somewhere which is possible  ;D).  I've looked for Zabkowice and Lausitz vases and so far haven't found anything the same (no doubt now something will appear on ebay as soon as I've said all this) But eventually I couldn't resist it.  I hesitated because I felt the colour wasn't quite right for Sklo Union and I couldn't find out where it was made.  But in the end I gave in and bought it anyway  ::) as you do.....  It does sit perfectly well with my Sklo Union pieces, but my searches are to no avail.

It has a 'typical' bird bath base and finish to the base rim is ground and matt.  It has wear to the base and is 20cm high and 14cm wide at the top including the 'applied handles width.  Any help on where this was made would be gratefully received.  Many thanks in advance.
m

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
But in that colour 1960s or very early 1970s I would have thought. Possibly a revival?

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Pamela thank you! :hug:  I can't believe I missed it there as I stopped exactly on that page to look at a Davidson ripple vase :spls2:  bearing in mind Christine's comments, I have never seen Sowerby in this colour?  I'll have to go and have another look round now.

Many thanks.
m

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Some of the later bowls, the little side-squashed round ones for example, do.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Christine of course!  I forgot...and I have one upstairs :-[  I also have the bowls labelled, in grey, and thought they also may be more recent - it's definitely a 60's/70's colour.
thanks
m

Offline Adam

• Glass Professional
  • Members
  • Sowerby 1949-56, Davidson 1956-61, Jobling 1961-72
I remember this vase.  We made a small number in my time but it was by no means easy to press.  I agree that the colour, although it would be easy enough to make, was not used then and would be 1960/70s.

Re the latter period, I know that a few of you are interested in the personnel as well as the glass.  There were two old friends of mine who were around Sowerbys and Davidsons at that time.  Ernie Walton, who had been chief chemist at GEC Lemington and Bill Robson, who had also been on the technical side at Lemington and later was in charge of composition at Joblings.  Both moved while I was at Joblings (1961-72) to Sowerbys and/or Davidsons.  Sadly I can't remember which of them went where and I think one of them swapped over (as I had done) at some stage.  Both had had huge experience (far more than me) of a wide range of compositions and colours especially at Lemington and were more than capable (given management support) of making any of the 1960/70s colours which are turning up from both factories.

Adam D.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Adam thank you so much for that very interesting information.  Even though my glass knowledge is severely limited, it is great to hear the views and comments from someone involved in making the glass and I really appreciate it.
Thanks
m

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
adding a base pic for future ref.  Sorry it's old and I can't find the vase at the mo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand