No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Not a Georgian blue patty pan.  (Read 612 times)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
Not a Georgian blue patty pan.
« on: August 31, 2023, 06:39:11 PM »
This looks like a Georgian patty pan with the folded rim and rough pontil but I believe it is modern, there is no wear…not that if wear were added it would become Georgian.

I say the pontil mark is rough but it isn’t very rough, the pontil rod has snapped off very cleanly. The rim is folded in and is 10cm diameter. I believe the clear one is genuine Georgian, that has the rim folded out which seems more hygienic and the rim isn’t so thick as the blue one.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Not a Georgian blue patty pan.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 07:18:55 PM »
is it quite glossy on the surface?  There is quite of lot of iirc Egyptian glass with bubbles in made to look old.  I had a set of amber (but they might have been green?) coloured plates which I think I put on the board many moons ago. They had a sort of sheeny glossy surface to them.  Id'd as Egyptian modern  I think. What does it sound like when you flick it like you would to test a lead glass bowl?

m

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 08:04:51 PM »
When flicked it does ping but not as nicely as the clear one. I think it is soda glass and the ping is due to the shape.

I haven’t noticed anything unusual about the glossiness of the surface. There are some black seeds in the glass so maybe the furnace is fired with wood or coal.

I saw another one a while ago that came with a small jug, both in the same sort of blue bubble glass. The jug had the older style top down handle, I decided they were both new too, probably due to lack of wear but can’t remember.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 08:09:57 PM »
It was a long time ago but my plates were green it seems:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,49857.msg281573.html#msg281573

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2023, 09:26:57 PM »
That’s interesting thanks.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 01:23:00 PM »
Possibly a bit off topic, but I'm curious.
I've never heard of a patty pan, so I looked it up and it appears to be some kind of frilly flat squash - a vegetable, which these are clearly not.  ;D

Looking at the photos, I'd have called these timbales, which are small bowls for cooking an individual pudding in. (Ramekins have straight upright sides.)
Would these stand up to being baked or boiled?
And where does patty pan come from? I love the sound of it.  ;)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2023, 01:58:12 PM »
I think sometimes they are called pâté pans, never been too sure which is correct.

Scottish Antiques says they are moulds used for serving butter or savoury jellies that are required to be set - so something put in hot that then sets? I always thought of them containing something delicious like meat paste.

I wouldn’t want to try my clear one in the oven, it’s working life is over :D

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2023, 02:40:26 PM »
1856 recipe for raspberry tart in puff pastry - '..put some raspberries and currants in a patty pan lined with puff pastry ... put in oven'

https://www.google.co.uk/books/edition/The_Englishwoman_s_Domestic_Magazine/HbVFAQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=patty+pan+1750&pg=RA1-PA208-IA9&printsec=frontcover

Please do note readers -the Englishwoman in 1856 apparently needed instructions as to how to boil peas yet in the next para down was so proficient at making puff pastry that there was no need to instruct how to make it ... just line the patty pan with it.
These old books and articles are so ridiculous to read back on.

As a child the term 'patty pan' was in use often for a smaller pottery/china bowl.  It's very familiar to me.
But I can't see a glass bowl ever being called a patty pan as I always assumed they were for cooking and glass wouldn't be.

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2023, 04:03:29 PM »
I'd have called that a pudding bowl (as opposed to a bigger soup bowl).

Mrs. Beeton wrote her famous cookery book at the age of 23. She was pretty clueless, despite some experience of mass catering, and was sadly, responsible for the vile british habit of boiling vegetables for a year or two.  :D
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand