No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pressed glass lavender vase ?  (Read 377 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Pressed glass lavender vase ?
« on: September 15, 2023, 06:48:35 PM »
Hi , I think this could be french glass and maybe mid 19th century ,could be a small vase or a drinking glass …any thoughts thanks .It’s 13cm in height .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Pressed glass lavender vase ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2023, 05:28:40 PM »
It's a goblet / tumbler with various makers.
If you have one with pattern number 119 in the bottom then it's Molineaux Webb

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2023, 06:50:56 PM »
Thanks so much Neil !,I was so sure it was French I really didn’t look for anything in the bowl , but yes just looked in and there is a 119 !, time to brush up on English pressed glass !,thanks again .

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 06:59:04 PM »
Here’s the 119

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2023, 10:27:47 PM »
Neil what  year would this date to please? 

m

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 08:28:08 AM »
I would date it to the 1850s in UK glass. It is in the Molineaux Webb 1870 catalogue. It is in the 1881 Percival Vickers catalogue, very similar design. Probably made in Europe and USA as well. I think there are a few "design classics" which many factories would have made, and this is one of them. MW seem to have applied pattern numbers only to such "classic" tumbler shapes like this one - most of those in the MW catalogue snippet below. With MW and PV, this was made is various sizes and I suspect in colours as well, though I've yet to find one.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 09:19:44 AM »
Thank you.  Interesting that they impressed the pattern number on this one.  Did they impress pattern numbers on  all of them?
The sequencing of the pattern numbers or lack of sequencing (ref your picture)  always strikes me as very strange when I see that MW clip (I'd been looking at MW similarities for my uranium tumblers).
Also interesting is the design of the foot.  These type of designs were around on Bohemian glass in the Biedermeier period. The lozenge type geometric designs were in the Launay Hautin catalogues from 1841. So the design of that lozenge plus the foot looks very old fashioned for 1870 and later to me.

There is a tumbler in that pattern clip you showed that has a design on it I've only seen on Clichy glass. I'm going to go and check my Clichy book again to ensure my memory's not playing tricks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand