No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Requesting help with identification. Salviati?  (Read 332 times)

Offline Dreamy Lark

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Australia
Requesting help with identification. Salviati?
« on: September 20, 2023, 03:01:59 AM »
Hoping someone can point me in the right direction to identify the glasses my mother bought from an Antique Shop in the seventies. Previous searching leads me to think they may be Venetian, possibly Salviati? But how could I confirm this and I'm also interested  in how old they are. Any pointers would be welcome. Thanks for your help.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
Re: Requesting help with identification. Salviati?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2023, 01:31:31 PM »
  Your attribution of Venetian may be as good as it gets. Generally unmarked glasses similar to yours are given that attribution based on design.workmanship, etc. Your glasses seem to have all the requirements. Fairly thin light weight glass expertly blown. Date can be problematic as this type made over a long period. While hardly an expert I would guess no earlier than 1920s solely based on the shape of the glass forefront right in the picture.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dreamy Lark

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 01:59:26 AM »
No earlier than the 1920s is very helpful, thanks very much for your reply Cagney, much appreciated.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 08:21:10 AM »
A couple more photos might be useful, one showing a single glass and another the base clearly.

Assuming that they are from Murano, the 1920s or later would fit in terms of style, the fashion of the times turned to far simple wares. Out went the complexity and 'fussiness' that had been enjoyed by the Victorians for so long and in came simplicity and elegance, sophistication trumping bling to my eye!

John

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Dreamy Lark

• Members
    • Australia
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2023, 01:01:23 AM »
Thanks very much John, It's great to have your thoughts. I have taken some more photos as suggested. Best regards, Mark

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand