No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Large Cylinder vase with inverted base - Poss Scandinavian / Aseda..?  (Read 618 times)

Offline Greg.

• Members
Hi All,

Hoping that someone might recognise this tall steel blue cylinder vase, which is clear cased with a conical shaped foot. The clear base has a distinctive inverted spike.

Plenty of age related wear to the base.

Very tall and heavy, measures 40cm tall.

I did wonder if these may have been produced by Aseda especially given the base, however have been unable to find another example.

All thoughts welcome.

Many thanks,
Greg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chasdevlin

• Members
    • 20th century glass
    • UK
Re: Large Cylinder vase with inverted base - Poss Scandinavian / Aseda..?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 11:26:54 AM »
Is the base hollow?
That's fairly unusual, but I did have a Reijmyre piece that had a base like that, so they're a possibility too. Here's the old listing of that with some photos.

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/725633222/vintage-swedish-reijmyre-tapered-ruby?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 11:52:39 AM »
Thanks, it's a little hard to make out from the photo. The centre of base is hollow. As you see the spike shape in picture 2, that whole area is hollow.

There are a few Scandinavian makers with indented bases, although the spike shape to this one is slightly different. I think Aseda produced pieces with similar bases from memory.

I'll have a look into Reijmyre, thanks for the suggestion.

I did post it on designlasi a while back, but that was just before the site sadly closed, which was a real shame.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 12:50:31 PM »
Check here Greg:

Brown vases on fourth shelf down left hand side - there is one the same shape and I think with the spike bubble but shorter?

http://www.50-talskeramik.se/2013/09/utstallning-aseda.html

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 09:49:48 AM »
Thanks for taking a look M.

I had a look through the exhibition photos a while back and wasn't sure my vase was shown. Some of the pieces are hard to compare, if I'm looking at the same vase, I think the brown example you mention has a 3 pronged triangular base, whilst mine is completely flat with the central inverted spike ?

There are a couple of other vases shown which also look similar (with a flat base) however, not sure the spike is the same, also some appear to taper slightly towards the top of the vase, whilst mine is completely cylindrical.

I had a scan through one of the mid 70s catalogues and also couldn't see an exact match. I'll have another look around, fingers crossed.

Many thanks,
Greg

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 10:22:23 AM »
Difficult.  I see what you mean about the shape but further on there are some straight cylindrical vases as well - no indents.  If that collection is comprehensive to all shapes they made then it's not there but if not, it could be a variation.  My hesitation is that yours is so tall.  Could it be either a later 'update/iteration' from Aseda, or a look a like?  M&S sold some bubble base vases for a while for example:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295920734352?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1bXsGedVTSaewqfUgreFZmg59&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=295920734352&targetid=1816459696765&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045660&poi=&campaignid=19097601017&mkgroupid=152525099668&rlsatarget=pla-1816459696765&abcId=9303862&merchantid=113478480&gclid=CjwKCAjw38SoBhB6EiwA8EQVLnvbJMUBVEhNwihclFAGRe2QsuzDb3841JXINQioPJNkdYhnYaR_axoCbEQQAvD_BwE

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 10:50:44 AM »
Pretty sure this vase is Aseda, they did produce oversized versions of some designs, I currently have the 40cm vase shown in the photo here:
http://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,40887.msg226771.html#msg226771

They also produced the same design with variations in the base, could be indented shapes, a bubble or several 'spikes'.

John

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 11:11:04 AM »
I'm curious about the base of your vase.  Is the rim is cut and polished and the base is polished flat as well?  Or is it just a very good mold blown base? 
I'm going to check my Aseda vases later but I don't think any have a polished flat base. However they also don't have a bubble in the foot so perhaps it was a feature of making that indent?

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 02:22:44 PM »
Thanks for taking a look John, its quite a heavy piece at just under 3kg. My initial thoughts were Aseda until I couldn't find an exact comparison.

M - I've taken a few extra photos, apologies for the photo quality, had some trouble reducing the file sizes.

The rim is cut and polished with a small bevel and the base is mold blown and not polished flat.

Hope these pictures help a little.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 06:17:45 PM »
These IIttala Lappi vases by Erkki Vesanto have a similar indent in the base. The blue Aseda vase has several thin 'spikes' pushed into the base, this design can crop up with a range of base variations.

There is an Aseda vase with the same shape indent as yours in Scandinavaian Glass Fire & Sea, page 27, photo top left of three different Aseda vases with varying holes in the bases, vase in the middle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand