No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help Identifying Small Red Vases  (Read 847 times)

Offline kathgree225

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Help Identifying Small Red Vases
« on: October 28, 2023, 09:54:25 PM »
In 1936, my father brought two identical small red, round vases back from Europe for his mother when he was 18. He’d given a recital in Vienna and I had always assumed that's where they came from, but after looking online, I am not sure. They do NOT appear to be Murano glass. I acquired them in 1994 when visiting my cousin who at that time owned my Dad’s childhood home where they had always been since he brought them home. I’m not interested in selling them (at this time) but would like to narrow down their origin. I am including three pictures of one of the vases which show the base with no marks (as far as I can tell), the height and a picture upright. I’ve probably spent a total of one hour searching online for others that resemble them. It’s possible that Dad visited other European countries during this visit but I have no way to find out. I don’t think they are valuable, but would like to know WHERE they came from! Oh, the red color appears to be applied from the inside as there is one tiny spot where it looks like it was accidentally scraped off. I could be wrong about that, but I’m afraid to do anything to them other than carefully dust off the outside of them. Thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
Re: Help Identifying Small Red Vases
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2023, 06:33:23 PM »
Looking for something else I saw these attributed to the Austrian company Stölzle/Stoelzle, although not the same they do have similarities, so might be a possibility.

https://antikes-glas.de/products/Paar-Vasen-aus-siegellackrotem-Glas-Carl-Stolzles-Sohne-Wien-um-1930-p577371909

"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline kathgree225

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • USA
Re: Help Identifying Small Red Vases
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2023, 09:14:26 PM »
Thank you! It's a place to start.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia