No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Help with identification of perfume bottle  (Read 465 times)

Offline Mike14017

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Help with identification of perfume bottle
« on: November 19, 2023, 02:32:06 PM »
Hi

My grandson and I collect antique and vintage items, not just glass, we go on the "that looks interesting" feel. We recently acquired this perfume bottle with a black stopper and a gold or silver neck.

We are having difficulty finding any information on this, if the neck is silver I think the date is 1812? The silversmith mark we just can't make out.

Not sure if it's crystal but if you can see from the photoes it goes from clear to green and the stopper appears black but shows as green when a back light is shone through it.

If you look at the base it looks like it's cracked but it doesn't feel cracked on the surface and was wondering if this is an internal fault.

It would be great to receive any information on this .

Thank you

Mike & Jake

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Mike14017

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Re: Help with identification of perfume bottle
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 02:34:14 PM »
Last 3 photos.

I forgot to mention the marks on the neck which are lightly scratched onh the surface.

Thank you

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 03:54:47 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
Curious thing.
I do not believe the stopper matches. I think it's just been something that was found that kind of fitted.
I see no evidence of any grinding inside the neck to match to the bottom part of the stopper - quite apart from the mismatch in glass colour and style.
I suspect you have found a bit of a cruet set - a salt or pepper pot, with its original top missing.
I am rather bemused by the green colour, I cannot tell if it was maybe "flashed" with a very thin layer of green glass towards the top, or even if it might be contemporary glass paint somebody's had a go at it with.
There is a big internal crack in the base. It could have been there for a very long time indeed. It is damage, but I think this wee thing has had quite a rough life and is still holding together.
It looks cut rather than pressed.
I can't help much with the metal bits on it. These could have been added at the time of making - or much later on.

You did not provide measurements, I'm comparing the size of the hallmarks to the bottle and from that I think it is the correct size for a cruet.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 08:28:48 PM »
Hi, regarding the hallmarks, it looks like the London leopard’s head on the right, it’s hard to see the shape of the shields, but it could be the London date mark ‘n’ for 1908-9? It’s hard to see from the photo. https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Dates/London/Date%20Letters%20N.html

The makers mark might be William Henry Sparrow https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/London-WF-WH.html#WH which would also tie in with the 1908-9 date. Example on another bottle https://www.sellingantiques.co.uk/657514/antique-emerald-green-glass-scent-bottle-with-silver-top/

Although the stopper looks wrong, I thought the collar looked right. Quite nice cutting. The scratched marks on the side of the silver might be pawn brokers marks.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 08:34:58 PM »
Yes, I agree, the collar looks right. I suspect there may have been a metal top which slipped over it and held.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2023, 08:45:57 PM »
Yes, possibly. I did think it was a scent bottle when I saw it and there are some online with a similar collar with a glass stopper. I thought of a cruet as being taller but don’t know much about them :)
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2023, 09:21:02 PM »
I've seen a fair few little cruet sets with pieces like this. They quite often come on a matching glass tray, or in some sort of metal holder. A salt, a pepper and a tub shaped thing perhaps with a hinged metal lid with a cutout for the wee spoon for mustard.

The collar looks as if there is a slight ourwards curve towards its base, and it reminds me of a glass sugar shaker (which was used in the recesses of time in my childhood) which had a kind of bell shaped slip-on cover (with diamond shaped holes in) which fitted very neatly and securely over a metal collar. It had that sort of kick out at the base too.

Actual dimensions would help. (hint)  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Mike14017

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2023, 10:38:28 AM »
Hi

Thank you for all the information.

The bottle without the stopper is 54mm high and 39mm square.

Regards

Mike & Jake

Offline Mike14017

• Members
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2023, 12:10:54 PM »
Hi

I've just found this using the information you gave

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/256263420563

Thanks

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2023, 03:10:46 PM »
That looks like another much newer stopper stuck onto an old cruet bottle.  ::)
The colours of the glass in each are different.
The cutting of the stoppers is in a modern style and does not match the cutting on either bottle.
The seller is using the silver to identify this auction piece, not the glass.

Thanks for the dimensions! They do seem to be consistent with my cruet suggestion.

I've found a pressed glass cruet set which serves as an illustration. I did notice several pressed sets described as cut.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225608260450?hash=item34874cdb62:g:4PUAAOSwqpVkbKls&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA0DnX0%2B99u7k8SaRE%2FJnX0y2RiByHobRwxjqH%2FkYfpcgS9tnJ91NI46PmPbKtTIhreG1gWKRHnGHL552di4sIi58z%2BCwGELFv8HjCIete06PLQbR0xJuOzpxYXZoh2h4bI9iIGXzwplBJu6f2nNCdQ6DzKuKISsjX7Uny%2BVsPq645VtJ2NjDtz%2BCKFBtgZbM72cycWPU5TCXQRlG35%2BXog%2BCFCd2Wn%2Bt6aHrgi8XgqadDNxQOVz1MR%2BAVX6S84%2FtKGzWItaCqNttvKlfCWsRet3M%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR6aw0tT9Yg
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand