No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Assistance with ID  (Read 372 times)

Offline Andrew Andersen

• Members
    • Handblown Glass
    • United States
Assistance with ID
« on: November 22, 2023, 05:53:48 PM »
Greetings -
I was thinking maybe Czech or Murano glass but upon closer examination I am wondering if it is something else. Could this be Sanyu Japanese glass? That pontil is interesting.  Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thank you, Andrew
Specs:
7.75 in widest
2.75 in high
2 lbs 13 oz weight
Polished level base with a concave polished pontil.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline user9318

• Members
Re: Assistance with ID
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 10:30:52 AM »
I have one in the same colourway. I have had it for years, I tried searching for the origin, but it was only a half-hearted attempt and I never found out who made it. Maybe I will have another search online later today, years have passed since I searched originally.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Andrew Andersen

• Members
    • Handblown Glass
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 03:56:18 PM »
Great!   I'll be curious to see what you find.  👀
- Andrew

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2023, 01:18:58 PM »
I may have found a contender for the maker, dishes in the same style and colour, but square in shape instead of triangular like ours. I'm not sure if I can add direct links to the items, as they are for sale on other websites, I don't want to break the forum rules, but if you Google "Iwatsu Hineri Glassworks" or put your photo through Google image search or Google lens, you will see a few of the square ones.

Offline Andrew Andersen

• Members
    • Handblown Glass
    • United States
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2023, 05:13:53 PM »
Wow-I see them! Great find -  Iwatsu Hineri of Japan !!  With a reference to this glass having a distinct concave pontil. The color / form summer berries are spot on as is the base. I think you found our glass - and many thanks for your efforts and reply!! I want to learn more now about Japanese glass!

Offline user9318

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2023, 05:58:03 PM »
You are more than welcome, and this time round it did not take long searching to find the probable answer. Google Lens worked its magic, which was not around when I searched years ago. Japanese glass is lovely and I feel some of it/some makers are underrated.

I got my one from an antiques fair in Southwold, I couldn't resist it, especially when it was only a tenner!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand