No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique Crackle and opalescent blown glass slipper or shoe. Cinderella slippers?  (Read 528 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Hi, in the book “Shoes of glass 2”  it shows some shoes from the same kind of range as these but they are not attributed to any maker. I have two pairs one in crackle glass with shoe horns and another opalescent with laces. The ones in the book vary in the accessories, the book also dates them around English 1890. I think the book is on the right track but wonder if anyone can help in identifying them. Can you banes some makers of crackle glass and opalescent makers? I think possibly Walsh Walsh or Webb but welcome any opinions.
Before you ask, no they don’t fit me either.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
I meant to say can you name some makers of crackle glass from around 1899-1910 ish.
Dimensions 13x5 cm
Thanks Mike

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline NevB

• Members
    • uranium glass
    • England
My first thoughts were that, from the colour and style, the opalescent ones were French and possibly earlier. The crackle glass ones coul be by one of several makers, like Walsh, or could be French too. 
"I hear you're a racist now father!" Father Ted.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
A bit of a diversion but are the top pair ashtrays?

Lovely pieces btw.

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
I see what you mean as your fag could sit in the shoe horn. The shoe horn is fixed so your ash would drop off the side. So I’m not sure about an ash tray. Would you buy ashtrays in pairs? I think they maybe English salt dips as you would by a pair of salts ? Just guessing.. thanks Mike

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
They could be salts I guess but that sideways metal bit would get in the way of serving the salt with a spoon and any spoon might be unstable on it.  So perhaps a bit of an awkward design.

It might or might not be an ashtray and it probably only reminded me of that because of the metal bit which is shaped like old ashtrays used to have on them if you know what I mean?  As you say though, that would be impractical for resting a cig on (and dangerous).

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
In the “shoes of glass” book they have several different decorative designs of laces in gold etc, I’ve not seen the crackle glass ones with shoe horns before. It would also be awkward to rest a salt spoon on..

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Nope, I really do think the top pair are ashtrays.  Sorry. (responding to my own post one above and having thought about it).
As you say after my post, an awkward design for ashtrays and also salts but I definitely do think ashtrays.

The bottom pair are 'ballerina slippers' or 'ballet flats'. I don't think they're English, the metalwork design of the ribbon looks as though it might be French. From the yellow opalescent glass I would think they were early 1800s from a maker like Le Creusot or Bercy however I'm not sure about the design of the shoe actually being from that era.  A bit of a conundrum.

The top pair might be from perhaps Harrach Neuwelt maybe? Or maybe even American? They look like 'Mary Jane' shoes.  The style/design of the shoes makes me think 1930s but not the crackle glass which looks 1800s. Oh actually it's just occurred to me, the top crackle pair remind me of Victorian clogs.  That's what I think they are based on.
https://collection.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/objects/co8563230/pair-of-childrens-clogs-pair-of-childrens-clogs

So perhaps the top crackle pair are English/Scottish maker? (see cobalt blue pair on the left 4th down in this link.  I had red ones like these as a child which is what suddenly occurred to me)
https://www.clogs.co.uk/

https://www.dgwgo.com/dg-arts-news/lasat-clog-makers-work-showcased-spring-fling-2014/#:~:text=Right%20up%20until%20the%201950s,to%20export%20them%20to%20Lancashire.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
and I think you haven't seen the top ones before because the metal work is probably dropped off/come loose and missing.  I have definitely seen a pair in that shape with the ridge/raised edge around the top where the metal work rim and holder would have sat but missing that metalwork. There was an opalescent yellow pair on ebay a while ago without that metal attachment but in the shape of the top crackle pair .

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
Both pairs are the same shape. Only the decorative metalwork varies.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand