No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Antique Crackle and opalescent blown glass slipper or shoe. Cinderella slippers?  (Read 530 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
oh ok - well then the ones on ebay were the  same as the ballet ribbon pair without the metalwork.

Interesting then - perhaps the makers were attempting to just show different 'styles' of shoes by the way they used the metalwork - ballet flats, clogs etc. So I see what you say about them both being from the same maker.  Sorry it's taken me a while to 'catch up' with you :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I don't know about Webb but Walsh Walsh would agree as a possibility and also maybe Stuart?  I think they used crackle and opalescent yellow.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Yes thanks that’s it, so I was thinking what manufacturers around 1900 were making items both in crackle glass and opalescent. I’d not thought of Stuarts.
Ballet slippers, not clogs…
I still like to think their English as any comments I’ve seen on forums say they have been purchased from the U.K.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
I wasn't sure what you meant about ballet slipper not clog?  I suppose it's entirely probable the shape is based on neither of those items if we're just talking about the pure design of the glass mold -  i.e. not including any additional metal bits to make it 'represent' a different shape.  A ballet slipper or ballet flat would have a lower heel and a lower surround  and a formal dance ballet shoe would have no heel and and is a lot lower in profile.  It's probably just known as  'shoe' in the design books ;D

https://www.movedancewear.com/alegra-split-sole-canvas-ballet-shoe-p3721/?sku=AL%20B0006PNK255&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiAvJarBhA1EiwAGgZl0CfEZK9lPnLWg6zr0li3APzmfg_0ygXuOd-jUjUq6-wjN8MovPuJQBoCMUoQAvD_BwE

Stuart opalescent use here (see link) however I'm now not sure about any use of crackle  :-\ :
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/364593888897?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=CjwKCAiAvJarBhA1EiwAGgZl0DcV24NGe5nRDVocIepKqx1kEGzSL94CS6-_mAef177gqFrt7NTwdRoC4jYQAvD_BwE

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
I just thought they looked  more like ballet dancing shoes rather than clogs, I’m no an export on shoes. I suppose Steven’s and Williams may have also made items in crackle glass?
Thanks for the links.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Stevens and Williams did make a crackle glass (I don't know if they made clear crackle glass but certainly a crackle with coloured blobs in it). I don't know whether they made yellow opalescent glass.

m

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
I'll stick with candy container, possibly of US origin.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Ivo do you mean something like this kind of idea?
https://galeriemaxime.fr/en/product/very-rare-art-deco-chocolate-boxes-marquise-de-sevigne-baccarat-crystal/

It's just the metalwork on the top one looks odd for a chocolate/candy box

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • United Kingdom
I think candy container could be on the right track, English candy container😀

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
Your 25 cm. Baccarat slippers are huge, for a candy container 10 cm would be standard.  These were filled with a small bag of coloured puffed rice or similar - more an ornament than packaging. I am sure the key word will google you to the US collectors sites.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand