No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unmarked Burtles Tate and Co Shoe and Swan From advertisement  (Read 204 times)

Offline thewingedsphinx

• Members
    • Victorian pressed glass
    • United Kingdom
Unmarked Burtles Tate and Co Shoe and Swan From advertisement
« on: November 29, 2023, 09:32:05 PM »
For reference.
In the book “Shoes of glass 2” by Libby Yalom, page 128 there is an advertisement of Burtles Tate called “ penny lines” it shows around 13 mixed small items including bird baths, salts etc and a shoe and Swan.
I found in my father’s collection two shoes clear and black which resemble the ones in the advertisement. Blue is also seen in the book.
He also has a collection of Burtles Tate swans including two unmarked white ones which are labelled Burtles Tate. We’ve never been able to find confirmation before and I know on previous threads that unmarked ones have been discussed on here before as many manufacturers including Meisenthal and American makers made similar.
 Here are some pictures of what I believe are four BT swans from the left large 1,2 and 3 are registered designs and marked RD20086 from 1885 the 4th a small white one is unmarked but has similarities with no.3 and shown in the advertisement.
I think both the shoe and small swans are from around 1905-1910 ish similar ere as the BT coal scuttle.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand