No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Scandi style Japanese glass  (Read 384 times)

Offline Auntiwainwright

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Scandi style Japanese glass
« on: December 01, 2023, 12:29:47 PM »
Hello - I recently came across this vase, which has a Scandi look to it, but no exact matches of any kind. I have tried a Scandinavian group of collectors, who rejected it as modern decor. That could very well be true, especially considering the rim, but the base has a Japanese look to it too, so I thought I would ask the experts here to see if that is a possibility? It is approx 35cms tall. Many thanks

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Scandi style Japanese glass
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 08:01:32 PM »
Hello and welcome.  :)
I think you're on the right track. There have been pieces of Japanese glass that do seem to be very "Scandi" inspired, particularly Per Lutken's Carnaby series of things, with white liners.
I have seen quite a few, but haven't found the name of the manufacturer myself. I think you might have to wait until somebody who knows more about it than i do comes along.
I think the Japanese ones can be slightly wonky and flawed compared to the originals, but the important thing is the correct shape.
It's a nice thing. I like it. :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Auntiwainwright

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2023, 11:47:54 AM »
Many thanks for your reply. Apologies to everyone who is reading this - just realised I shouldn't have posted it in this section..rookie error!

I'm more familiar with Murano and Czech glass (and by no means an expert on either of those), but understood that Japanese glass often has quite a clean look with a concave centre...a bit like the one I posted.

As you say, I love the shape regardless!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2023, 01:17:52 PM »
Don't worry about being in the wrong section, one of our lovely moderators will fix it. :)
I'm sure somebody does know who made the Carnaby-alike Japanese glass, it's just not me.
I've handled a large tall yellow vase, and a very short, wonky, lilac, gulvase-alike piece. (That had the same kind of unclear and wobbly divide between the liner and the colour at the rim I would not expect to see in anything Scandi.)
Both pieces were wrong shapes and sizes for Lutken, and lilac is a wrong colour.
The gulvases were also made under license to a company called Cascade in England. They are not lined, and either turquoise-blue or amber.
There really isn't anything about a bit of glass you can call fake - only claims made about it.
When you are holding a bit of glass, you are holding its own original self and all that matters is that you like and enjoy it. 8)

Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand