No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Looking for info re my favourite whisky glass.  (Read 201 times)

Offline Islandbagger

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Thistle whisky glasses
    • UK
Looking for info re my favourite whisky glass.
« on: December 17, 2023, 02:05:06 AM »
Hi everyone, first post!

I’d love to know some details about the thistle glass I have.
Like age, maker, desirability/rarity.

Height 74 mm (2 15/16”)
Rim diameter 64 mm (2 1/2”)
Weight  160 g (5 5/8 oz)
Capacity 70 mls (2 1/2 fl oz)

It has no makers mark etching.
It looks hand blown to me (not perfectly symmetrical and 'swirls' in the glass).
I think it’s lead crystal glass although it doesn’t 'ring' when tapped.
The flat polished base has no star cut (like most modern glasses of this type) and it is somewhat scratched by use.
The cutting and etching of the thistle leaves and flowers look to be to be higher quality than the newer examples of these glasses (nicely detailed outline, surface texture and leaf veins).

From looking on google etc; I think it might be Edinburgh crystal and it’s a large tot glass rather than a full size whisky glass? (Only big enough for a medium dram!)
The lower hobnail section is very thick and the whole glass is heavy for its diminutive size.

I’m a person that values old treasures over new ones and this glass has growing sentimental value, I’d love to be able to ponder its history…..

Hope the photos are good enough and thanks for any help in advance.

Kind regards,
Rick.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand