No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can you identify this signed studio glass vase?  (Read 568 times)

Offline suzygpr

• Members
Re: Can you identify this signed studio glass vase?
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2023, 06:53:40 PM »
Gail D Gill makes/made in this style, that's probably the past auction pieces you are thinking of.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Greg.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2023, 07:23:35 PM »
I think the Z is actually an 'L' with a tail at the top. The dash over the signature at the end is also consistent with Peters signature.

Neil, I hope you don't mind I took the liberty of pasting your signature pic into the below picture to show a few comparisons together.

I think the signature looks reasonable in comparison, however, its always good to hear directly from the studio, especially as its an unusual piece.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2023, 07:24:37 PM »
Hand written letters can sometimes be open to interpretation.  :-[  ;)

Gail D. Gill's signature is easy to read. At least, the one I've found is. A new name to me. ;D

https://www.artvalorem.fr/en/lot/121680/17184327-gail-d-gill-xxth-century-free-form-perfume-bottle-in-glass
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Earth without art is just eh.

Offline ahremck

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 09:25:23 AM »
I think that is Peter Layton's signature.  This is an item of his I own.  It is very close to yours but has no date.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline neil53

• Members
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 10:22:33 AM »
Thanks to all for your comments.  You are correct that Gail. D. Gill was the name I was looking for.  I hadn't heard of her prior to the Cotswold auction but she does nice work if a little fancy for my own tastes. I'm pretty convinced now that the signature is Peter Layton's and thank you for all your input on that score.  Apart from the signature the date is also in a similar script to a 1987 piece I have of his.  I guess I just don't associate him with the style of the vase which seems very different from the work I normally associate with him.  Mind you I come across pieces of his on an occasional basis that I wouldn't have first attributed to him.  Obviously a man of many facets.  I'll let you know if I hear back from him.  Kind regards and Happy Christmas to you all.  Neil 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand