No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Ford & Co Holyrood Glassworks Scottish Decanter Information Sought Please??  (Read 425 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
I recently found a decanter that made me quite excited due to it having some of the best cutting i have found to date
on a decanter of its kind  We felt that the antique shop where we bought it from were about correct on it being from the
1820-30 period when steam cutting was being used to create beauty and complexity. Having found a few examples of
similar cutting online being described as peacocks feathers as a favourite of John Fords and also having a hollow peg
mushroom shaped stopper. Virtually all the decanter has been cut really well in my opinion the lip where the stopper sits
is quite thick and the hole quite narrow for the long peg stopper quite an unusual stopper not one i have come across before?
The Holyrood Glassworks John Ford & Co pattern books would be great to get hold of i wondered if anyone knows of a place
to view them , I had noticed somebody online saying that they can be seen but sadly i am the opposite to an anorak on a computer
so though i would mention it here and see if anybody can point me in the correct direction for more information please thank you.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
another picture ..

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  Looks very much of the period. Very nice. The stopper treatment of the neck and shank below the cutting very unusual for this period I cannot recall ever seeing similar in English or American cut glass from this period. The cut bladed rings a bit different, usual treatment being faceted.

Offline MHT

• Members
    • English Pressed Glass
    • Cumbria
    • Victorian Pressed Glass
The book 'From Goblets to Gaslights' The Scottish Glass Industry 1750-2006 by Jill Turnbull includes a CD which includes a copy of the John Ford catalogue /pattern book.
Not sure of the year but the scan is copyright of the Rakow Digital Collection at the Corning Museum of Glass. Had a look at the collection online but could not see the pattern book listed.
Bought the book for my Christmas present, reading it at the moment but forgot about the CD until seeing your post. Book itself is worth getting, will let you know if I find your decanter, but there are nearly 450 pages of catalogue on the CD to go through.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

www.victorianpressedglass.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Appreciate the comments and agree with them wholly i certainly did have a look at the online version of the book you have purchased
but as you said was unable to access the online catalogue but have asked the museum to point me in the right direction also so might
end up buying another book or possibly there downloads :) In any case its an odd ball as mentioned the stopper good cutting though
amazing what they could do with pressurized water :)Thanks for looking at the info appreciate your help  :)

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  Pretty sure the steam mentioned refers to steam engines powering the cutting wheels via belts.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
 I may have misunderstood part of your post, At first read I thought possibly you were implying that steam/pressurized water actually cut the glass, if so, my bad.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand