No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Figuring out who made it.  (Read 210 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Figuring out who made it.
« on: January 01, 2024, 12:45:38 PM »
Not sure whether I have posted this previously.  This was my Grandmother's and I always loved her and it. It is my memory of her.  This is an Internet conversation
Judy Atomizer-Parker  It is a massive database of information, but I seem to recall a similar pattern in either Germany or Czech.
Ross Mckenzie  I am thinking Czech personally, like Inwald or similar.
Yvonne Redgrove  Judy Atomizer-Parker Many companies cut this pattern, England included
Rebecca Omoto   Possibly Baccarat?
Judy Atomizer-Parker  Ross Mckenzie another glass house to check out is Dorflinger in the US. I saw a photo of one similar to yours at the top, but didn't have the "vents" on the bottom. Since Susan Arthur didn't say Baccarat, then I guess it isn't.
Yvonne Redgrove  I guess it is Baccarat, the star cutting plus I have a set that is marked Baccarat and George Stam is the expert here, he started me off with my love and collection of Baccarat.
George Stam I do not have a catalog showing these bottles, but I believe it is Baccarat or it could be Saint Louis ( similar).
Susan Arthur  Yan Schalburg I don’t think it’s Baccarat- I can’t find a single example where the top half and bottom half are cut differently like that. Never heard or read about stopper cuts being one or the other.  But... most definitely of the same era, and Baccarat and St Louis and a few others did similar work. I think I would have to see it in person to know more.
Susan Arthur  Ross McKenzie, I sent photo of your bottle to the Creeches. They replied with photo examples to explain their answer. I will post each photo with the descriptive details.…
Susan Arthur  Below.....Very popular Octagon Diamond design by Boston & Sandwich. While several other companies produced this basic design, only Sandwich featured four cut rings on the shoulder--those made in this shape by other manufacturers had only three rings, or none at all.
Susan Arthur  Below:The bold elegant design here reflects the mature mastery of Deming Jarves at the height of his power.  Made about 1865 at the Cape Cod Glass Co., the colorless layer is superior, water-clear. The rich ruby colour is undoubtedly the work of James Lloyd, Jarves' colour expert. Decoration features diamonds and vesicas. The vesicas are advanced for their time - they predate the American Brilliant Period of glassmaking.
Susan Arthur  From the Creeches: "
The mystery bottle in question displays 1) Octagon Diamonds; 2) Panels; and 3) Vesicas. **It likely was designed and fabricated in the 1860s, echoing the finest Boston & Sandwich, along with the new and beautiful Vesica cuts within the Panel shape cuts.**
Susan Arthur  Ross Mckenzie you have a very special bottle.....although I love Baccarat, this is way.......more......better! to our FB Interactive group – Elizabeth Creech is interesting in our conversations on glass, hoping to get her tied in with our glass discussions. Although they sold their entire collection at auction a few years ago, they were avid collectors of glass for glass sake, and then it morphed into perfume bottles. They had a museum quality collection and some of it did go there. I was fortunate to get a few pieces that were 'within my budget'!
Susan Arthur  Ross Mckenzie
I shared your appreciation with the Creeches. Their follow up is that think your bottle may even be a non production line item, ie a special design piece, likely one of a kind. They have had such, and feel likely yours is too.  Even better, my friend. Enjoy!!

As you can see I was lucky to find a lady with good contacts(the Creeches) in an area I have no expertise in.

It is a Boston & Sandwich Perfume decanter from the 1860s or so.

PS>  Versicas are the elongated cuts that are wider in the centre

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand