No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Beautiful Citron Colored Intaglio Cut Wine Glass???? Stevens & Williams Webb??  (Read 479 times)

Offline LEGSY

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
Found a lovely wine glass sadly a bit late for the festivities but all the same i am quite
happy to of received it late, The glass has a lovely weight and balance when being held and
when held to a light it has good detailed cutting on the bowl with flowers similar to s & w or webb
intaglio cutting on Rock crystal claret jugs and vases that i have seen in the past more the lighter
stuff than the heavily made expensive pieces. Would love to know what other people think of it and
where it might have been made i was thinking maybe English myself. It measures a decent 7.5 " in height.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
more pictures better ones

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  A very special glass I think. The workmanship and balance of design outstanding in my opinion. I see some similarities to the cased amethyst hock illustrated plate 15, page 164  in Hajdamach's  book "BRITISH GLASS" 1800-1914 [ very similar form, etc.]. Although that glass a signed "Fritsche "piece. While I would not dare go that far in attribution , a possible Webb  attribution would not be out of line.

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
  A very special glass I think. The workmanship and balance of design outstanding in my opinion. I see some similarities to the cased amethyst hock illustrated plate 15, page 164  in Hajdamach's  book "BRITISH GLASS" 1800-1914 [ very similar form, etc.]. Although that glass a signed "Fritsche "piece. While I would not dare go that far in attribution , a possible Webb  attribution would not be out of line.

Appreciate your time in replying to my post i also looked at this plate as looking like a similar blank that may have been employed to the glass in this post that's
quite funny :)  I do not have much information on well cut wine glasses in my small library and i guess many designs have been made
over time so it may take a while to find, They are quite lovely the designs that they were able to employ to create this type of engraving real artistry and skill.
People can do amazing things when they have time to practice without being rushed and pressured in life.
Thanks Dan

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
I hope this techie tip works thanks to Anne for her online typing skills if so :
The item in the link is online at the present time for sale i would like peoples views on if i am seeing
the decoration in the bowl as being in very similar manner to the one i have listed? Hopefully the seller
has a correct attribution? Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=186236854789

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
  The similarities of the engraving,etc. quite obvious between yours and the one in the link [thanks Anne]. The daisies and punty cuts of large to small circumference notable. I think yours compares very favorably. My knowledge of S&W wares is limited as most English glass. The only information I have on S&W wares comes from Paul V. Gardners book " THE GLASS of FREDERICK CARDER". Chapter one in this book covers Carders time in England and at S&W. and shows photos of things He had made and designed. Of note is the Amethyst plated and engraved brandy decanter c.1890s for his wife that has the same shining daisiey cuts. Another piece a plated green footed drinking glass [ice tea] made at Steuben c. 1925-1933  very similar [diasies and punty cut large to small] at CMOG {enter the ascension number 53.4.55 in the search bar of Explore the Collection] should come right up.
  As far as attribution, if I was going to sell a glass for $785.00 I would certainly drop a few important names. Having said that, an attribution to a Carter design would not be out of the question for your glass I think.The Hodgettes connection tenuous probably. The engraved "England"  on the glass in the link may relate to import status, as by law c.1891 imports had to have country of origin noted on the piece in U.S.A.

Offline LEGSY

• Members
    • Antiques
    • North Wales
 :)Wonderful reply Cagney really appreciate you going to the trouble i will keep sleuthing with the link provided
for the museum and have decided to pack the glasses away for a rainy day they are lovely thank you for all your help :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand