No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: RD (Registered Design) number 863667 - shell shade. Info?  (Read 338 times)

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
RD (Registered Design) number 863667 - shell shade. Info?
« on: January 27, 2024, 02:00:27 PM »
I wonder if anyone knows details (or where I could find them) on Registered Design 863667?  I have just noticed it on a shell shade I was cleaning & intend to instal for myself.  It is one of the typical wall light fittings I normally associate with the 30s, but assume this is later because of the code.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: RD (Registered Design) number 863667 - shell shade. Info?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2024, 03:23:46 AM »
How interesting! I have a pair of these at home and have never noticed (or even checked for) an RD number (I will tomorrow though!). See here for one of mine in its fitting https://www.glassmessages.com/index.php/topic,1566.msg17540.html#msg17540.

I always hear these referred to as "Odeon lights" as the style was apparently used in the Odeon art deco cinemas.

The RD no 863667 was registered in the period Nov-Dec 1950 according to the National Archives here https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C6013080
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Ailurophile

• Members
  • I'm new, please be gentle
    • United Kingdom
Re: RD (Registered Design) number 863667 - shell shade. Info?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2024, 02:06:28 PM »
Thank you, Anne.   That is very helpful.  If anyone knows how to find out to whom it was registered, I would be very interested to know.  Like you, I had not thought to look & just noticed it while smoothing nicks & cleaning  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand