No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early pressed glass goblet  (Read 744 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Early pressed glass goblet
« on: February 01, 2024, 01:23:28 PM »
Hi , I’ve searched the French pressed glass site (1840) without finding this particular glass and I wonder if it’s English from the same sort of period.It’s 8cm wd and 13 ht and made with a good quality metal,it’s also the first glass I’ve found with a small square polished pontil ??..It’s also a fairly weighty piece …any thoughts many thanks .

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline neilh

• Members
Re: Early pressed glass goblet
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2024, 08:16:02 PM »
I haven't seen that one before. I think it unlikely to be early English. Certainly all the early tumblers are incredibly dull variations of flutes. I would be surprised therefore if there was an outbreak of design bravery on the early goblets.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2024, 08:20:12 AM »
Thank you Neil , a calming steer in the right direction as usual , would you agree on the dating ?

Offline neilh

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 09:59:29 AM »
The foot and pattern are unfamiliar. The clear rim above the pattern is similar to various goblets shown in Launay Hautin (1840). I've not read anything on c1840s European pressed glass goblets but it could be from that era.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2024, 03:13:00 PM »
Thanks Nev,I’m inclined to agree with Neil on this one and look across the channel.I guess starting from the earliest date it could be. It’s heavy ,leaded and a bright metal with a foot wider than the rim , so lots to be getting on with .

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2024, 09:36:42 PM »
Caveat that I know absolutely nothing about this kind of glass, but just musing is it possible it could be Belgian?

m

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2024, 04:03:29 PM »
Could be m ?,it’s all a bit up in the air at the moment .I’ve read that in the UK leaded glass was used for early pressed glass and this seemed to cause problems so they used an unleaded glass,I’m trying to find information about continental pressed glass, St Louis added lead to their normal batch before the date this goblet could have possibly been made.The sand used must have been fairly free of many contaminates because it’s a bright glass.

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2024, 05:00:26 PM »
  Looks like a square extension from the mold, originally protruding more and ground down. For what purpose? From a technological point totally unnecessary. Unless, What? More questions, photo #2 Stem is that a meandering mold line or striation? I have a working theory, no answers. Follow the mold lines. Whats going on there?
  Very French in some aspects I think.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2024, 05:50:12 AM »
Thanks for pointing the mould lines out Cagney , i over looked that and thought they were creases , but 
no !,they are the seam lines that meander off when reaching the stem,interesting .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand