No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Early pressed glass goblet  (Read 750 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Early pressed glass goblet
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2024, 05:54:35 AM »
Do you think it may have been made in two parts ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2024, 06:12:36 PM »
  The possibility may exist. If the mold line from the bowl of the goblet is drastically off set from the mold line from the stem/base [a 1/4 turn or more?] maybe. If your lucky you may see some tooling marks on the upper stem. At the least I think the upper stem to bowl area put to the fire more than usual. This was a difficult area to get exposed without reheating the bowl too much. The punty rod being a conductor of heat you risk the piece dropping off the rod if heated too much at the attachment point. The punty rod attached to an extension from the base makes this task much easier. Also, a well at the base of the mold would act as a release point if the amount of glass dropped into the mold was a bit much [overfill]. In the early period of pressing "eyeballing" the right amount took some experience.

Similar article to size and period. A quite small compote [13cm dia.X 10.75cm tall] made in a more conventional manner. Two separate pressed pieces attached with a wafer, which was then tooled [shaped]. an applied and shaped ring on the stem. Rough snapped pontil on base. Lead glass, probably Belgian. Bowl with a noticeable overfill.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2024, 09:14:26 PM »
Very interesting ,thanks for the info .It has got a slight lean ?The rim seems well worked and flattish but not sharp and a bit bumpy if you run your thumb and fore finger around it .I’m really not sure but I’m wondering if this could be an example of French press moulding a few years before 1840 ? Maybe feeling their way with the process ??

Offline cagney

• Members
    • U.S.A.
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2024, 01:07:06 AM »
   I have not seen this concept  [extension] before. The theory is the only technical reason I could think of. Seems to be an outlier of sorts. Other examples would be incredibly informative I think. The possibility of other pieces from the same mold intriguing. On that day was the grinder/polisher a bit lazy? Are other examples from the same mold out there with conventional polished pontils i.e. the extension ground further Into the base. As usual more questions than answers.

Offline Ekimp

• Members
    • England
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2024, 09:56:33 AM »
On that day was the grinder/polisher a bit lazy? Are other examples from the same mold out there with conventional polished pontils i.e. the extension ground further Into the base.

If they had ground away the square any further, they would have obliterated the impressed pattern. I think you can already see where the tool used to grind the square has started to grind away the tops of the surrounding pattern. There would be no point in having the impressed pattern on the bottom if it was to be ground away.
People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day - Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2024, 08:32:25 AM »
The pattern on it reminds me of some tumblers I've seen attributed to Val St Lambert hence my question.  However on a quick search (not in depth admittedly) I couldn't see anything else to compare.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2024, 11:17:19 AM »
I thought I’d put up a few more images ,it looks to me the base isn’t central even taking into account the swirls .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand