No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Modern or vintage facon de Venise goblet  (Read 558 times)

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Modern or vintage facon de Venise goblet
« on: February 02, 2024, 03:26:03 PM »
Hi I picked this piece up for 50p because it has a broken pontil striations and tooling marks.It has ,I think,an incredibly neatly done folded foot and is as light as a feather!,..there seems like very little wear and it has a ring when flicked ,who could be making this type of glass?it almost seems a tad perfect to be blown by hand ?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
Re: Modern or vintage facon de Venise goblet
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2024, 08:16:53 AM »
Umm, I’m just daring to think this maybe a Murano piece, sadly I haven’t got any books but I have seen similar pieces online in the colour range ?It’s 13cm ht  ,10cm wd.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2024, 07:37:18 PM »
Yours could be from Murano, I found my two in the book Vittorio Zecchin Transparent Glass for Cappellin and Venini but could not find yours in there, few drinking glasses are included unfortunately. I reckon the colour of yours looks right, thin lightweight and form all fit well too. 1920s or 30s Murano seems a reasonable working assumption.

John

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2024, 05:43:08 AM »
Very beautiful glasses , thanks for showing.I had stumbled over some pieces of Vittorio Zecchin when searching on the net and dared to think this could be one of his pieces ,
made by a craftsmen very much at the top of their game.I feel really pleased to have rescued it from a 50p box aswell !,it may easily have got damaged and lost .Thanks for your help John.

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2024, 07:27:20 PM »
Much wear? Probably just a thin band around the edge, sometimes easier to see with magnification. Mine ring when flicked, surprisingly good tone given they are soda glass and not lead.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2024, 09:04:55 PM »
If you run your fingernail along the foot edge you can feel tiny bits of wear, but hardly used I would think and it being so light .(I am going to try it out at some point to see if it’s fit for purpose!).I has a very nice ring ,low pitch .

Offline glassobsessed

• Members
    • Mdina
    • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2024, 10:50:52 AM »
... few drinking glasses are included unfortunately.
Not strictly true, few photographs of wine glasses are included however there are many more line drawings which are. Yours could be one of two possibilities illustrated on page 73, hard to tell for sure as there may well be a few inconsistencies, sizes are not given and the height of the foot seems slightly out of proportion. The first has the pattern number 5509 for MVM Cappellin, the second design (which may be too large) has the pattern numbers 3014 for MVM Cappellin and 5051 for Cappellin Venini.

Offline bat20

• Members
    • east sussex
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2024, 10:03:44 PM »
Thanks John , I read somewhere they repeated his designs in the 70’s which makes things interesting !?,which ones I wonder ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand